Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hahaha and I have more weird birds we could add! Hahaha

Yeah, I sure wish we could find an answer to this too; as long as I’m not out of my medication I can usually muscle thru without a trip to dr, but once it gets started it’s all downhill.
No well water, just city.

So Jackie is a mom now too (my Mille) I heard her being extra fussy and peeked in bc I suspected and sure enough out pops one little head- she let me move the nest out and poke around her butt enough to find 3 faces so far! Lol she has 7 eggs and they may need another day or two I really thought! So will see. But yay Jackie-mom!
The little girls will be several days later, at least Well- Thursday. Ha! Soon then.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

This is our ‘firstborn’ that exploded out of its shell like super fast when nobody else could. I had to assist every single other egg bc none could get turned to unzip…. They weren’t all shrink wrapped either, just… idk.. It was odd. But they did good so I’m happy- clearly I didn’t mess up too badly!

Thanks to the tutelage and recommendations on what to learn- they made all the difference for these ones.

But this is Mr Miagi. We are almost positive it’s gonna be a boy. What’s one more around here?

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Well, contaminated well water was a thought. They need to find the issue right cotton pickin' now! (I'm yelling in my head)

This is going to be so much fun with you and Triston with the peeps.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Actually, I think you'd be surprised at the low number of birds I have. The muscovys are another story; they are everywhere and more eggs being laid. Hmmmmmm, ever had fried duck egg or a duck egg omelet.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
And the pigeons are getting a bit much too. When I released them from the loft I had expected the older birds to return to their old home; not that far away, but they stayed. I just got an email-a woman is coming to get 4 hand fed pigeons-$100 for the four on Friday. It may be that I can take my gorgeous wife out to eat at an actual restaurant.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
And the pigeons are getting a bit much too. When I released them from the loft I had expected the older birds to return to their old home; not that far away, but they stayed. I just got an email-a woman is coming to get 4 hand fed pigeons-$100 for the four on Friday. It may be that I can take my gorgeous wife out to eat at an actual restaurant.
Not shabby. It wasn't that long ago you were wondering how to find people to sell to and buy from.

·
Registered
101 Posts

This is our ‘firstborn’ that exploded out of its shell like super fast when nobody else could. I had to assist every single other egg bc none could get turned to unzip…. They weren’t all shrink wrapped either, just… idk.. It was odd. But they did good so I’m happy- clearly I didn’t mess up too badly!

Thanks to the tutelage and recommendations on what to learn- they made all the difference for these ones.

But this is Mr Miagi. We are almost positive it’s gonna be a boy. What’s one more around here?
Eeeeek!! Soooo absolutely adorable!!!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Eeeeek!! Soooo absolutely adorable!!!
Thank you!

And Robin, you can only imagine how I feel when they come in and start asking all the same stupid questions that they have to but I don’t feel like answering again… my horns kinda make my halo crooked. Well water was a good thought though! Really. I’m just fed up. At least I’m finally losing the weight I wanted to, but was too lazy to start doing it. Hahaha but now it’s kinda motivating- even if I’m not losing it bc of the work I put in, it still feels that way and makes me want to keep working at it. So it’s a sorta win??? Silver lining here. Come on!

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
That first pic is great!

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Oh boy! So one of the Ds we hatched is a little small, and hasn’t quite caught up yet either. We named it SweetPeep, and this morning I added a small zip tie with some room to grow to keep it marked for keeps anyway (watch it be a rooster) and surrogacy plan was a success!
See, SweetPeep was getting run over by the larger Ameraucana- and while good at avoiding them for the most part, we felt a real momma was needed for this little one.

Jackie let me set SwP in with her and just looked askance at me and I went about my business this morning. By the end when I came back around she allowed me to stick him under her butt, and readjusted for his presence. I knew she’d make a good mom. The others wanted it but they aren’t quite hatching yet so they have to wait their turn. We have 3 more if either of them have a poor hatch rate too.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
That's great when a plan comes together. Hens can be so forgiving when it comes to a stray peep. It's living in luxury now.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
But darn it, evil me forgot that SP was already on medicated feed and thus brought her back inside after having a taste of momma. Oops. You have no idea how mean that felt! Lol.

She let me poke around alllll over to find the baby so that was good. Only pecked me a couple times, halfhearted.

Now this chicken- it walks around peeping unless eating or drinking or with me. It’s the one that hatched out on my hand. Claus. (Like German Klaus) Hehe Bc or Santa’s beard and looks like a cloud. It’s perfect. Anyway- wants to ride around w me all the time and this is my solution. Cause I can set the bundle down as needed! Ha! Too funny.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Oh no this one hatched in my hand from the bator. This guy/gal was one of my shrinky-dink chickens! So it loves me extra lol.
I was rewetting the back side of that ones membrane and the cool water made it stretch and pop it’s head right out lol. Then I put it back, but that bond was made apparently. No, usually it is with all the others it’s just rotten.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
OK, you just keep thinking it's imprinted on you. It probably makes you both feel pretty good.
Hey, it’s crazy though. It peeps with everyone else, and down in the brooder, unless it’s with me specifically. Not constant but almost! Silly thing.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts