Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hatch!

This one popped out in less than 3 hours- it wasn’t pipped when I left and BOOM! It also rolled another egg- does everything look ok or is this normal looking??

·
Administrator
19,622 Posts
It's OK, they kind of crash and burn when they get free of the egg. It'll rest for a while then start getting its legs under it.

Congrats, grandma. Another new beginning.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you're seeing the umbilical cord.
It’s ok- Robin nailed it. It fell off after a couple hours. We have a total of 4 more pipped! Just monitoring. The one has shell missing off the whole end but hasn’t popped out yet, it’s a bit odd, like the squirming shoved the shell off in bits first. So it’s sorta born but not. I did actually re-dampen the membrane a while ago to be sure everything was ok there. Seems to be. Still just the one little ‘guy’! We keep saying boy and he bc he looks like an old man but really no clue.
We cheated and held him for just a tiny minute too. Omg. So cute. Now he’s sleeping on the eggs he has moved around. Some... Funny.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It’s ok- Robin nailed it. It fell off after a couple hours. We have a total of 4 more pipped! Just monitoring. The one has shell missing off the whole end but hasn’t popped out yet, it’s a bit odd, like the squirming shoved the shell off in bits first. So it’s sorta born but not. I did actually re-dampen the membrane a while ago to be sure everything was ok there. Seems to be. Still just the one little ‘guy’! We keep saying boy and he bc he looks like an old man but really no clue.
We cheated and held him for just a tiny minute too. Omg. So cute. Now he’s sleeping on the eggs he has moved around. Some... Funny.

So adorable! What breed are they?

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ameraucanas! Super excited- they’re a rainbow of whatever their various flocks made- a mystery! But very nice stock which makes me happy too. This one, according to her tracking she’s been doing, will either be a b&w splash or some variation of a blue.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ameraucanas! Super excited- they’re a rainbow of whatever their various flocks made- a mystery! But very nice stock which makes me happy too. This one, according to her tracking she’s been doing, will either be a b&w splash or some variation of a blue.
I Love Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers they can come out any kind of color! Must be pretty exciting, Best of luck to you and the little fluffballs!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely will- I’m going to head back over in a bit: we had two more freshly popped out, one I had to rewet a bit- the same one that pipped a day ago- it seems to have absorbed everything and could come out at any time- this is the one that wiggled all the shell loose from that end so it’s pretty wide open to see now! I’m hoping by the time I go back it will be out as well; the remaining two- including the previous one- are both peeping away at us and doing good so I’m hopeful I’ll get 5- really not bad out of 11 shipped eggs for a first timer I’d say. Fingers crossed, I can’t count my chickens before they are hatched!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Additionally, my older son wants to name the first chick Miagi (from Karate Kid) due to looking like an old man. If I wind up with 4 roosters I’m gonna be pretty devastated guys! No idea for now I’m just saying….

·
Administrator
19,622 Posts
You've been really good around your first hatch. Or you've not been telling us how much time you spent hovering.

Scary thing, it's not unheard of to have a ton of boys hatch. It happened to me.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news is we should possibly maybe perhaps be able to keep ONE full size rooster. But now with the Chip Tiny thing I’m rethinking even that much… not that my snotty ‘dottes will accept either of them though…

And yeah, this is me we are talking about. If anyone gets 100% male hatch it would be me!

·
Administrator
19,622 Posts
Multiple pens. That's the only way to keep multiple males if they don't get along.

I had three free ranging. But there was quite a bit of size difference. A little D, a Silkie and a Favorelle. They all got along just fine.

·
Administrator
19,622 Posts
Did you bring the other bator home? Wasn't it also supposed to be pipping? There's an explosion going for certain.

What about the girls, where are they at on the nests?

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
We have 11 D eggs (yes got to move them back) starting their hatch day on Sunday, a d I antisipate them to be kinda slow, as I added them over the course of the day, from morning to night.
Then, I’m going with the 20th as the starting hatch day for the babies in the nests… I considered bringing them inside to monitor, but, I’d kind of like the girls to do the best they can with them too. I certainly am not hurting for them; while of course I want as many to make it as possible I’m ok with nature taking it’s course too. Hopefully nature does a good job!

Now I did have to help this little baby too- he was shrink wrapped about halfway, couldn’t turn, so I loosened the shell, rewet and made sure it was loose enough and put back- it has since hatched fully. We have 6! Just waiting on one more and will have 7!!!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts