Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,345 Posts
Looks around 3 weeks old and gender would be difficult to tell right now just because their combs around this age aren't developed and they still have fuzz. But if I had to say what gender it was I'd say it's leaning more towards pullet.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
The first pic shows the wing spread of a pullet. The second pic shows absolutely nothing helpful.

I believe you have a pullet about 3 weeks old, but that is not based on the wing picture and at this young age I could be way off base. Whether or not it still needs heat depends on several factors as robin has already mentioned. I've had 5 week olds off heat, outdoors in the coop/run. and temps were in the low 40s at night.

·
Registered
Floof queen
623 Posts
Can anyone help with the age/gender of this chick I'm not sure how much longer it needs heat and what temperature it needs to be at. Any help would great thank you. View attachment 42785 View attachment 42786
it seems about 2-3 weeks old and I am guessing pullet. I usually keep mine on heat until 4 weeks so waiting 1 more week will be fine. For the breed, I think it looks like a serama chick. is that the breed?

·
Registered
Floof queen
623 Posts
Looks around 3 weeks old and gender would be difficult to tell right now just because their combs around this age aren't developed and they still have fuzz. But if I had to say what gender it was I'd say it's leaning more towards pullet.
I just said about what you did! 2-3 weeks old and leaning towards pullet! Great minds think alike...

·
Registered
Floof queen
623 Posts
Looks like it might be a cockerel because of how the wing span just goes straight across and a females will go halfway and curve in. Here is a picture to show you. Technically I'm still leaning towards pullet though.
View attachment 42789
well in the first picture it seemed that in the second part of the wing it curved down instead of being completely straight, so your instinct is telling you right.

·
Registered
Floof queen
623 Posts
Breed looks like a Barred Rock.
I don't think it's a barred rock because they are more black and don't develop the white until about 6 weeks old. They also have a white spot beneath their eye, and in this chick, there is not one. I only shared this because I don't know much, but when I do, I want to share it so people will think I'm smart.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,943 Posts
I don't think it's a barred rock because they are more black and don't develop the white until about 6 weeks old. They also have a white spot beneath their eye, and in this chick, there is not one. I only shared this because I don't know much, but when I do, I want to share it so people will think I'm smart.:ROFLMAO:
What is :ROFLMAO?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts