Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I have a need to go to Chicken's Anonymous. Is there such a thing???:p
Would anyone else care to join me there?
:confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am right there with you! My poor husband has said NO MORE!!!!! But all I can think about is how to add some bantam silkies next year. And get more bunnies but that's another story. And a goat. He says we should just buy a farm which is a terrific idea but I said I am in over my head now -what kind of mess would I make of things if I had a whole farm lol :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
If we didn't have limits to the number of chickens we could have here in town, I would have one of every breed. Right now I am at my max of 12.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started out with the idea of six. Hubby saw them coming and coming and said, I thought you wanted six? He has no clue that there are now 40 out there. HA! Ten are serama's and about eight are old english. Those don't count. I think 9 large fowl and the rest bantams. AND I still find a new chicken that I want almost every day.
I am selling some of them. Alot of them I just raised from babies and had extra's when I got them so some will find new homes and other farmers like them raised to egg laying age.
I still will end up with around 30 though and oh yes, five serama's in the incubator. I would cut down but I look at each little face that I like and can't part with it. I do need a real farm, but like Jen, I would probably be in more trouble then too. hehe.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Don't worry ... it levels off after 25 or 30 years. :D

·
197 Posts
I just rang my local Council and we can keep up to 10 hens (yay, wonder if I should work towards getting another coop!!!) Picking up my first 4 this Sunday. Only 4 more sleeps to go.

·
44 Posts
Seems everything I get into I want to make bigger!!!

Started with 12 chickens and a little 6 x 4 ft coop 2-1/2 years ago. now I have 25 chickens in a 12 x 12 coop and an 8 x 8 homemade chicken tractor with 25 meat birds in it.

5 years ago Started with 25 taps for maple syrup with a roasting pan on cement blocks in the back yard burning about 1 cord of wood. now I have 300 taps on a vacuum tubing system 12 x 18 foot sugarhouse, a 2x6 foot evaporator burning 6-10 cords of wood and I am adding on another 100 taps for 2013 and expanding the sugar house next summer. Got 3rd place for my syrup at the fair this year.

last year I had 2 bee hives and made about 80-90 lbs of honey. This year I have 3 hives and when I am all done for the season I will be up to approx 240 lbs of honey. and next year I plan on buying a comercial honey extractor and going up to 4 hives. second year keeping bees.....Got 1st place for my honey at the fair this year.

and then there's my garden. 7 years ago I made a nice 20 x 20 ft garden which is now 32 x 64 feet and I plan on increasing it next spring and also adding in some fruit trees!!!!

Added in raspberries and 5 blueberry bushes....need to add more!!!

My wife says I am nuts!!! I need help. I have been bitten by the farming bug!!!! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts