Chicken Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I understand,I can always give my extra to Fred if needed,I just try not to burden him with them.

From what I read it's fairly common in middle aged people and several things can cause it. I guy I've know for about 20 years told me the other day he's been dealing with it a few years now but doesn't worry about going blind in it,just takes his 2 blood pressure pills a day and goes on.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Years ago there was a Silkie breeder that had a woman she gave her unwanted birds to. The woman would take them to sale days and offload them for the most part.

Well, let's hope there's something you can do to prevent any further issues.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'm pretty sure now that I have 1 gander and 2 geese. The day before yesterday,when the new nest showed up on the corner of the pond and was wondering if it was by the same 12 that started the other nest,I had had a really big egg in the building that morning. It looked like a goose egg but I wasn't positive since the double yoked duck eggs are pretty big too. This 1 looked bigger than a double yoked 1 but since I hadn't seen 1 since last year I wasn't sure. I cracked it open to scramble it and sure enough it was a goose egg,so 2 eggs were laid that day. Now when the 4 ducklings get here I'll have 6 hens and 2 geese,lovely,I'll be rolling in eggs soon. That is if they're sexed right and don't have any males in the 4 ducklings ;) .

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
If only you could sell hatching eggs. It would require packaging and shipping but it can add something for the cost of feed.

But congrats on having two females.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
But selling them would cut down on what we have to eat ;).

Speaking on the geese. I made the 1 that has the nest on the dirt pile,the 1 with 5 or 6 eggs where I don't want them you know,a little upset. I haven't seen her mess with it for a few days and figured I'd scared her away from it.meaning she'd abandoned it. We had below freezing temps last night and it was only in the 30sall day. I went out to put them up and I'll be but she was sitting on her nest. I waved my arms and said let's go like I awys do when I bring them in but she just sat there.I got one of them weeds about the size of a pencil in diameter and made out of stuff like wood and started rubbing her neck and chest and poking around her side and she started hissing at me. After about 10 minutes of it I started tapping her on the butt with it,she still just hissed and started packing sticks and grass around herself. The gander came back over and went in the pond honking at us. Finally he left and I started putting it under her.That made her stand up,so I started pushing sticks and grass over her eggs and when she saw what I was doing she started helping to cover them.When we got done she walked down the end on the hill and towards the building honking real long and low,sounded like she almost crying. When we got close to the gander she was still doing it and he lowered his head real low and swinging back and forth honking up a storm. The ducks wouldn't go near them for a few minutes until they calmed down. I can about imagine howc upset she'll be when I move her nest down off the hill and put the fence up before I get rid of them.I'll wait a day before I get rid of them. I just hope she don't tear up the fence trying to get back to the hill,somehow the one in the building's getting awful tore up. .

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
What a story to end my night with.

You know who moves his broodies all of the time? Dan. He moves his ducks, his chickens and they stick to the nest.
Yes, but geese are just a pain, unless you are a goose psychologist, and I don't know any. I spent from 1982 until just a couple years ago, working on Emu behavior, even did some college projects on it. I never figured them out per se. They can be curious and friendly during the day, until they try to cooperatively hunt you at night.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I've always thought Emu was an interesting looking bird but I never thought about getting any.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
I've always thought Emu was an interesting looking bird but I never thought about getting any.
I had them for a dozen years, loved them and hated them. The adult males are generally friendly and entertaining. I had some adult females in the 250 pound range and they could hurt you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I had them for a dozen years, loved them and hated them. The adult males are generally friendly and entertaining. I had some adult females in the 250 pound range and they could hurt you.
Yeah it sounds like the females are the mean ones alright since they fight for a mate instead of the males doing it like in chickens,ducks,geese,deer etc.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I've been checking my blood pressure for the eye doctor and decided to compare my sides and my left arm averages around 90 over 60 but my right arm averages around 165 over 70. I think I've got circulatory problems. I'm going to show it to the eye doctor and also mention it to my family doctor.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Something is going on there. You're right. There should be a difference but not that drastic. And that right arm is something to be concerned about.

Are you on any BP meds?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
No I'm not on BP medicine,it's usually 125 or lower because they usually check the left arm.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I plan on it when I see him Tuesday plus I'm suppose to show him my recordings which has it on there. He told me to record my BP because he wants to see it.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
It's one of the steps for answers. I struggle with mine, spiking, dropping much too low. It's a frustrating situation.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts