Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ends up at least 1 of my 3 African Greys is a goose,I wasn't sure what the sex was of any of them,they're only a year old. I just went out to check on them and the ducks and noticed an African Grey was missing. I walked around the pond and when I got to the big dirt piles on the South end the other African came running down honking. I stepped up and looked and she has a nest with 3 eggs in it. Now the problem arises. I don't need anymore geese. I know if I disturb them she'll find another spot,probably harder to find. So my only alternative is to finish fencing off the South end so they're completely fenced in. I know they won't hatch anyway because I put them in the building every night. With my medical issues right now with the tingling on the right side of my face,neck and shoulder and the big black cloud in my right eye I really don't want to spend the money on the fence right now so it'll have to wait awhile.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Should I say it, 444? Nah, we're already very aware of what the path is we're on.

Maybe Dan or PJ can give you some other ideas on how to deal with this latest challenge. Unfortunately it might mean repeating the things you've said over the years about the challenges.

When is your appointment again?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My eye doctor appointment is Tuesday. I saw my Neurologist today. She's going to set up another appointment for another MRI of my brain and neck to see if there's any changes from the ones I had done about 15 years ago to see if there's a problem causing my tingling on the right side of my face,neck and shoulder.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I'm glad you're proactive when it comes to your health. So many men are not.

I want Tues to be here now. I also want Monday to here now. I've got a tooth that needs a root canal. Of course this happens when my guy is on vacation.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that sucks. I wish you the best. I've had more root canals than I can remember. They always wind up needing to be pulled later though. I wish he'd just pulled them 20+ years ago when I asked him to,to save me the agony and money later when I don't have insurance though.

She said she probably could've gotten me in some place in Ft. Wayne tomorrow but that'd just mean multiple trips up there for me and the wife would have to go along. Too far for that and I never know when the wife will be sleeping. Tuesday's not that far away.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I've got Blue Cross Blue Shield that costs me 32 a month. The challenge is finding the funds for the part the insurance doesn't cover. But if I didn't have it just think about how hard it would be to afford having anything done.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
Should I say it, 444? Nah, we're already very aware of what the path is we're on.

Maybe Dan or PJ can give you some other ideas on how to deal with this latest challenge. Unfortunately it might mean repeating the things you've said over the years about the challenges.

When is your appointment again?
I'm sorry, I have no real new advice here, it's that time of year and some birds are going to be relentless about their nest building.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got Blue Cross Blue Shield that costs me 32 a month. The challenge is finding the funds for the part the insurance doesn't cover. But if I didn't have it just think about how hard it would be to afford having anything done.
That is very true,that's why I don't go to the dentist unless it's an emergency and haven't been to the eye doctor.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry, I have no real new advice here, it's that time of year and some birds are going to be relentless about their nest building.
yeah and that's why I figure the only way to solve it is to finish fencing them in so there's no way of her hiding the nest where I can't find it. The only place she'll have is under the cedar trees in the center of the area.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anybody know how far away ducks and geese can sense a hen nearby? I was just curious if they could smell them or anything like dogs can do. I was wondering because the 2 Canadian geese I had were both males and as far as I know they're still over at Fred's which is only a few hundred yards away and I think they flew over last night. I was wondering if they might give my Ganders a hard time,might get to watch a geese fight 🤣.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
They might do it by sound. I sure hope they didn't come over to your place. That can only lead to all sorts of stress for you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They might do it by sound. I sure hope they didn't come over to your place. That can only lead to all sorts of stress for you.
I think it might be interesting,especially if it is my old ones,Honkers will know he lost his turf
😉 .

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
My memory isn't that short. I remember what happened as they were growing up. Them returning to your place will only mean grief for you.

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
The least amount of work with the least expense... If the goose was ine and I were in your situation I'd let the goose hatch a few,otherwise she will do as you said, simply start again, likely in a less desirable place. If she's allowed to hatch a couple goslings she will be busy with their care for the season.

Here's what I'd do. While she is still laying and I'm guessing that with three eggs the clutch is not complete, I'd place the nest and eggs in a large, low plastic tub and leave it in the nest's original spot. When she has gone broody, I'd move the nest into a large dog kennel, leave it where the nest was, and hope for the best. With this setup the goose can be safely locked in at night and allowed out during the day.

Limit the number of eggs as you wish, but I'd think there would be people who would want the goslings.

The above is the basic idea of what I do with my turkeys when they nest in a bad spot. While it always works with the turkeys I haven't tried it with a goose. Depending on the trustiness of the goose, there's a good chance it would work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My memory isn't that short. I remember what happened as they were growing up. Them returning to your place will only mean grief for you.
Maybe,maybe not,I doubt they'd stay long,2 African Greys against 2 Canadian geese....... My African Greys would kick their asses :LOL: Might sell tickets :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The least amount of work with the least expense... If the goose was ine and I were in your situation I'd let the goose hatch a few,otherwise she will do as you said, simply start again, likely in a less desirable place. If she's allowed to hatch a couple goslings she will be busy with their care for the season.

Here's what I'd do. While she is still laying and I'm guessing that with three eggs the clutch is not complete, I'd place the nest and eggs in a large, low plastic tub and leave it in the nest's original spot. When she has gone broody, I'd move the nest into a large dog kennel, leave it where the nest was, and hope for the best. With this setup the goose can be safely locked in at night and allowed out during the day.

Limit the number of eggs as you wish, but I'd think there would be people who would want the goslings.

The above is the basic idea of what I do with my turkeys when they nest in a bad spot. While it always works with the turkeys I haven't tried it with a goose. Depending on the trustiness of the goose, there's a good chance it would work.
The least expense and work is finishing up the fence. I don't see how they'd ever hatch being as I put her in every night and the eggs are out near the pond. I tried that with a duck a few years back,I finally left her out 1 night to let her set on them and something got her. She had 22 eggs in her nest and they were all rotten. I don't have a dog kennel and them things are expensive. I can finish the fence for around $100 probably and it would also keep the ducks from getting into the brush piles and stuff. She wouldn't have any places to make a nest except under the cedar trees because the rest is all yard and the pond. I don't allow any of my ducks or geese to set on eggs,I eat them and if I want a few ducklings or goslings I hatch them in the incubator.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts