Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else out there have African geese? Would you like to share some pics , comments, anything about Africans ?:)

Here is a pic of Gus & Greta , this was when they were a couple days old. Now theyr 10 days old so I'm take another pic later :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have two. They are about three-four weeks old. They have gotten huge since i got them. They doo well with my other ducks and chickens when they are out but have killed two of my ducks when they were housed together. Geese are agressive things

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two. They are about three-four weeks old. They have gotten huge since i got them. They doo well with my other ducks and chickens when they are out but have killed two of my ducks when they were housed together. Geese are agressive things
I had to seperate my goslings from the rest of my babies after a couple days. Once in their own brooder they are the most social babies so far. They love being held unlike my ducks.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I had to seperate my goslings from the rest of my babies after a couple days. Once in their own brooder they are the most social babies so far. They love being held unlike my ducks.
That's awesome Apyl! I have to chase my ducks around the yard until I can catch one to hold. :eek: Jack doesn't mind once I do pick him up though. He just sits there content to be nice and warm and talked to. Rose on the other hand, has a royal fit when I'm holding him since he's not at her beck and call. She's such a brat! :p Try holding her and its like trying to hold a feral cat! :eek: Your goslings must be growing like little weeds too. You'll have to post us some more pics of them. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Gus and Greta are 2 weeks old today :) First pic is Gus in my hand so you can see the size difference from the pic in the first post. 2nd is Gus, 3rd is Greta, last if Gus & Greta with DH's Rouens and Wilbur out pointer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
African Greys share many of the attributes of any other kind of goose. They imprint and believe that they are the same thing as the first other being they see. My two African Greys have imprinted with my dad and protect him and follow him everywhere he goes just like they would with their mates. When he's gone as well as their wives who are sitting at the moment, they act lost and don't know what to do. They are not timid. They are extremely curious and want to be part of whatever is going on. When they were put outside, they immeadiatley asserted their dominance and importance over the chickens and the soon-to-follow ducks. Geese are better suited for gaggles and pairs than being solitary. Some mate for life with one other goose. Also, they can live up to forty years old.

image-4162894660.jpg

The african grey is on the right and his toulouse wife is on the left

image-2528234951.jpg

These are the African-Toulouse babies.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So cute, thanks for the info :) I've been putting mine outside during the day for the last 4 or so days and sure enough as soon as they were in the yard with the flock they started showing dominance. They have 2 rounens that stick with them and follow them all around.

Here is a new pic :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts