Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice and this might be the totally wrong place ( cause you are all just like me!!). I want to hatch chicks (silkies) just for the fun of it. I would only be able to keep two hens and I'd have to get rid of the rest on Craigslist. Do you think it is irresponsible to hatch babies knowing I won't be able to keep them? All opinions are welcome and I have a thick skin so don't worry about offending. :)

-jen

·
Registered
69 Posts
no its not wrong. chickens are turning into a big hobby and craigslist is where i got almost all of mine. i think its a good idea.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks :). Really wanted to move forward with it - but always felt a little guilty. I will give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
And then you can mysteriously send me one to my house just like the stork. Gee honey, I have no idea where that really fluffy one came from? Maybe its a stray that found its way here???? :D

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
And then you can mysteriously send me one to my house just like the stork. Gee honey, I have no idea where that really fluffy one came from? Maybe its a stray that found its way here???? :D
It followed me home, can I keep it pleeeaaaaseeee?

Go to your local feed store and put up a flier that you have chicks for sale. That is, when you have chicks for sale. Sometimes, a feed store will sell chicks for you, for a small price. That way, you don't have creepies from Craigslist at your house.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea. I just ordered seven - hubby not too happy but I told him I'd be lucky if any hatched and he should just think of it as a science experiment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jen3910 said:
I'm looking for advice and this might be the totally wrong place ( cause you are all just like me!!). I want to hatch chicks (silkies) just for the fun of it. I would only be able to keep two hens and I'd have to get rid of the rest on Craigslist. Do you think it is irresponsible to hatch babies knowing I won't be able to keep them? All opinions are welcome and I have a thick skin so don't worry about offending. :)

-jen[/QUOTE ]
I see two possible issues one silkies are not easily sexed as hatchlings and can take several months to determine the sex of the silkies. Second if you have never incubated eggs before there are a few things you need to do before you get the eggs to incubate them to ensure they hatch. First is incubator set-up ensuring it will maintain the proper temp and humidity throughout the incubating period and that requires test run with storebought eggs just for a couple days. When I incubated my first set of eggs many years ago I made that mistake and had zero hatch. it was rather disappointing for me. I recommend a little research on the subject if this is your first attempt.

·
Registered
839 Posts
jen3910 said:
Good idea. I just ordered seven - hubby not too happy but I told him I'd be lucky if any hatched and he should just think of it as a science experiment.
Yes, all for science! I love that one, may have to remember that one :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are shipping today! I'm so excited :). This is what I'm going to convert into my incubator. Just had to move a few cookbooks. I have a temp and humidity sensor and will put plastic or plexiglass over window and a small bulb for heat. Only have a few days to work out the kinks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
nothing wrong with that all. if people didnt do it people like me wouldnt have any chickens.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
jen3910 said:
They are shipping today! I'm so excited :). This is what I'm going to convert into my incubator. Just had to move a few cookbooks. I have a temp and humidity sensor and will put plastic or plexiglass over window and a small bulb for heat. Only have a few days to work out the kinks.
Nice looking. When I added the bulb, I actually got an outlook kit that has 2 sockets on it, this way if one bulb goes out, there will still be heat from the second. I put two 75 watt bulbs in. So far, perfect temp, feb 15th will be my first experimental hatch date....I also added some of the hard board insulation with "metal" facing to insulate. Before I put that in, I caulked all the seams of the wood, then taped all the seams of the insulation. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got it in test mode now. 100.6 and 44% humidity. Holding nice and steady. The eggs are due tomorrow. I have two bulbs - one that is always on and keeps the temp around 100 and another that triggers at 99. I have a computer fan going and a couple ventilation holes. I've been able to change the humidity level pretty easily by increasing water surface area. Tomorrow if we are still running a bit warm i will add another ventilation hole. Gave up on the shelf idea and went with a plastic tote insulated with various things. Spent less than ten bucks on parts. :).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts