Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So I am expecting my silkie eggs to arrive on Friday. What procedure should I follow when placing them in the incubator? Should I let them settle for 12 hours thrn put then in the incubator in the automatic turner, as long as the air cells are good? If they air cells are not good,, what should I do?

Please share experiences if anybody has bought eggs from E-bay, let me know if you had any success. I am expecting 8 eggs, so I hope that I will get a few chicks out of them!

Can I feed a medicated chick starter to silkie chicks?

Thanks!!!!

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Yes, let them rest before putting in the bator.

Mark the eggs with ruptured air cells and set them. I have had two hatch, its rare but it can happen.

Ebay eggs are a gamble, very often they have stolen pics of another breeder's birds but don't have anything close to the pics.

Yes, you can feed medicated feed to Silkies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Well, I hope these birds are offspring from what I saw in the photos! What a scam if they aren't....

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Nope, gave it to them for years before I quit using it. Raised hundreds of the little things without incident.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I use medicated and Unmedicated. Primary goal for me on medicated is to build up low dose resistance to cocci, however, I have seen cocci in medicated chicks and had to treat with corrid or Sulmet, and I have had same age group of chicks on unmedicated and not had issues with cocci. Either way, seems I need to keep corrid and sulmet on hand, just in case. I am not confident really in medicated, but sure gives a minute bit of peace of mind, especially when we get in hatchery chicks for resale. In my chicks we hatch out here, I have not had any run of cocci, in hatchery shipped chicks, I have. My partner down the road, has had some of the same chicks, we split shipments sometimes, and she has not had any cocci, but she starts here's on medicated my turkey feed, mine were on medicated MG feed (we had run out of H ad H), but are now getting switched back.

Jim

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Jim, that is why I quit the medicated. So many reports of cocci even on the medicated feed. Like you I kept Corrid/Sulmet around, just in case. Never did have any issues with it.

I think the problem may be more geographic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello!!
Good to know!! So my eggs arrived and they seem perfect!! One had some poop on the top of the shell so I cleaned it off. I am going to let them sit on the counter for 12 hours, then I am going to put them into the incubator. Should I put them in the automatic turner and wait another 12 hours before plugging the automatic turner in? Or should I have the automatic turner on right away? Advice us much appreciated!

Thanks!

Any other tips for hatching out shipped silkie eggs is much appreciated!

·
Registered
393 Posts
wait on the auto turner because of all the turbulence of shipping. After they rest then auto turner.

But auto turners are wonderful. My little cousin did an experiment on all 3 methods and they all turned out the same however (auto, hand and hen).

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Silkie Boy, put them in the turner with it on. That is the reason you are leaving them rest before putting them in the bator. If you've got good instruments for temps and humidity, things should go smoothly for you. BTW, how did the air cells look?

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Robin, I keep thinking of removing the medicated all together too!

Jim
Jim, I think I quit using it six years ago, maybe seven. I didn't see any increase in chick losses once I quit using it. Not with those hatched by me or by the hens. I was pretty paranoid the first few months.

I spent more time arguing with the feed store that I didn't want medicated than I did buying it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Um, so when should I put the eggs in the incubator ? I was thinking of letting then rest for 12 hours, then pop them in the turner, but with it off, but in the warm incubator, then turn on the tuner 12 hours after that! All of them seem to have the air cells back at the top of the egg. They look really good actually! Lol, the eggs are very fresh!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I let rest 12-24 hrs, then turn the turner on, in or out of the bator. Sometimes I am not ready to set all my eggs, so I may let them set. But, I would personally never put them in the bator, and not turn on the turner. Although, people that hand turn, I guess they put them in, and don't turn right away....

Jim

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the temp in my house is 65 F it won't be a temperature shock to the eggs to put them into a already heated up incubator? Or am I better of putting them into the cool incubator and letting it heat up with the eggs inside? So that they warm up slowly. My incubator is pre-set, it always goes to 99.5.

Thanks!!

I left the eggs resting all night, boy I am excited to get them into the incubator!!!

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
From someone who has hatched hundreds in an incubator.

1. Turn on bator. This gives it time to warm totally, get the humidity to the proper level.
2. Let the eggs rest for a bit. I usually let them rest 8 hours.
3. Place the eggs in the bator, with the turner on.

It almost a little crazy to be obsessing of the turner being on or off. Turner on means you can't possibly forget to turn it on at some arbitrary time later.

The eggs might sweat a little going from that cool to warm and moist, that's no big deal. Its a normal reaction. They will slowly become as warm inside as it is outside.

What do you mean the air cells returned to the top? If they were intact they would always be at the top.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts