Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a hen thats been setting on eggs which if fertile, should hatch around the 2nd of August. Our new chicks should be here around the 10th of August. Would it be ok to try to get her to adopt them. And if so how to go about doing that?

·
Administrator
24,133 Posts
Nope. But they can hear and feel the peeps moving. Well, I guess that would be yes they can tell.

Seven should be fine if she accepts them. Some are greedy and will steal whatever they can from other hens. Some are very protective and won't let anything, not even near their chicks, and will attack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thought maybe they could she sure sets on them, to me looks like she hardly leaves the nest but my son says she does more than I think she does
Hopefully she will take them would be much better for them if she does

Another question. since hens dont lay eggs when brooding how they get so many eggs. Have seen videos of hen setting on a lot of eggs. When this hen went broody we put a couple of eggs under her. The hen they are from her and the roo still going strong the other hen won`t have any thing to do with him

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thsnks. My son let the other three out of their run today. We had to have someone watch out for them cause of the cats not sure if they would mess with them. Anyway wasn`t sure how he was going to get them back in their pen. He has a little can he use for their scratch feed, he just carried it out to where they was and shook it and they followed him back into the pen. Reminded me of the pied piper. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts