Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Anyone have cool or special stories about there birds? Please post them here with pics if posible! My chickens are very special! I will probably post my own stories when they happen! Thanks! -5chicksowner :)

Attachments

·
Banned
825 Posts
Schicksowner,

Did you ever see that Peter Seller's movie (one of that series of Inspector Clouseau movies like "The Pink Panther" )....the one in which he had an Oriental "House-Boy" that he had instructed to attack him at ANY TIME ? ....( His "theory" being...that it would "keep him aware" of any threats and also boost his "hand-to-hand" Combat techniques.) The movie was hilarious !

Well....I had a Rooster
that had the same ideas as that Oriental House-Boy. Sneaky, Stealthy, Ferocious, ARROGANT and MEAN as a Hungry BUZZARD ! His name was "Oro Blanco de Gallo". I liked him ! He was a "Half-Breed" Rooster....a "Golden Comet", I think.
He was extremely protective of his Flock AND his Territory....as a GOOD Rooster should be.

Picture:

The PROBLEM became...that Ole "Oro Blanco de Gallo" decided to challenge ME when I went into HIS Territory to feed or water or collect eggs or do any clean-up, etc. Now...understand....that THIS sort of action of his wouldn't work with me....because THAT area is also where my outside lounge table is...with the parasol......AND I enjoy sitting there on a warm Summer's day with a COLD can of Pabst Blue Ribbon and watching the chickens make fools of themselves! Besides....I DO (sometimes) try to get a little bit of Work done out in that area.....fencing.....building another Coop, etc.

So....my Rooster and I had a serious problem. Actually He had a problem....because I wouldn't RUN any farther than where I could call my Boxer-Dog! Ha-Ha !!! ( Fortunately, I never had to call him.)

That Rooster, "Oro Blanco de Gallo", came at me HARD one day....when I happened to have a hammer in my hand. I hit him upside the head and "knocked-him-out". ( I thought I had killed him ! ) A couple of minutes later.....that TOUGH Ole Rooster st-rug-gled - struggled.... to his feet and drunkenly stumbled around for a few minutes....regaining his senses.
He didn't bother me for a day or two after that !!!

THEN...he did it again.....and I "knocked-him-out" again ! ( same story...more-or-less )
He did it a couple more times and FINALLY realized (apparently)...that IF he "messed-with-me" ...he was going to take a nap and wake up dizzy !
He quit messing with me.
In fact...he would 'step-back" away from me when I came into that part of the yard. BUT...he NEVER took his eys off of me. (and I always kept one eye on HIM ! )
He was surely a GOOD ROOSTER.......unfortunately.....He was the FIRST chicken to die....when a **** invaded that area. I didn't see it....but you could TELL that he went FIRST by where the bodies lay after the ****'s SLAUGHTER. He tried his BEST to protect his flock !!!
BUT....
even a TOUGH Ole Rooster is NO-MATCH for a BIG ole **** ! My Boxer-Dog would have his hands full with a BIG **** !

I miss that "
TOUGH Ole Bird".
Did I say he was a GOOD ROOSTER ? We were "friends".....sorta-like. At least we respected each other.

That's my story for your "thread".
WATCH-OUT !!! ( There's a MEAN "GHOST-ROOSTER" here ! )

Ha-Ha !!!

Best Regards, :)
ReTIRED
P.S. My neighbor trapped that **** a few days later....to protect his cats. It was a BIG **** ! -No **** problems since then----yet.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry no stories here. But ReTired, that was a good one lol I totally can see the rooster getting knocked out lol. DH did throw a show at one of our meat roosters and hit him square on and knocked him out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My chickies did something funny today! I took them out of the brooder and let then explore(they hate hard floor!) and they kept running away when I tried to pet them, so I singled on of and it ran straight between my legs! Them chickens are clever! Lol :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
5chicksowner said:
My chickies did something funny today! I took them out of the brooder and let then explore(they hate hard floor!) and they kept running away when I tried to pet them, so I singled on of and it ran straight between my legs! Them chickens are clever! Lol :)
So funny!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have a story yet but I do have a reason...long story short ive always wanted chickens but now especially they are my therapy because I was in a horrible car accident, hit by a mack truck tanker on i81 in va and broke my neck back arm ribs brain injury etc and it's all kind of been a recipe for depression up until this point I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning but since I got 80 chickens and 3 ducks over the last 5 weeks I get out of bed every am and spend hours and hours with them everyday they've brought me happiness finally

·
Registered
18 Posts
bluejeanprincess said:
I don't have a story yet but I do have a reason...long story short ive always wanted chickens but now especially they are my therapy because I was in a horrible car accident, hit by a mack truck tanker on i81 in va and broke my neck back arm ribs brain injury etc and it's all kind of been a recipe for depression up until this point I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning but since I got 80 chickens and 3 ducks over the last 5 weeks I get out of bed every am and spend hours and hours with them everyday they've brought me happiness finally
Oh wow! Hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My chicks bring me bucket loads of happiness! I just moved them outside and they spent their first night out last night! So excited! Hope you get better soon! I'm so glad u survived a crash like that! My chicks hope u get well too! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you so much Tabba and 5chicks!! I should have died or at least been paralyzed...but I wasn't breathing when I was gotten to after the truck was catching on fire. But after being airlifted to UVA and staying there for only 8 days miraculously when I was supposed to be there till thanksgiving and that would've been just to be transferred to the local hospital till New Years. Oh and want to know how much being airlifted costs these days? $26,000 for 15 mins!! I could've bought a new camaro or truck for that! Lol

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
You could try free eggs. Lol

But seriously, glad you're okay! Chicken forum got me through the worst year of my life. There are some very outstanding people here.

Get better soon, Blue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts