Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am adding an Ameraucana to my flock by the end of June. So this text is early but I want to know what to do. So my RIR is as sweet as can be but as for my Plymouth rock.... She is very aggressive! She pecked my RIR in the earlobe for a week after I added her. She still does it today! So, I was wondering how to introduce a new hen to her. And also if anyone knows any true breed Ameraucana breeders in Illinois.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Make sure the newbie has an area to herself. Make it so the others can see her but cant get to her. She will need to sleep in her own spot too but that can be as simple as a dog crate or such. Keep her seperated for a good week or so then slowly introduce her to the others. Be outside when you do this so if either of your current hens decides to attack you can intervene. But dont intervene if its just them establishing their pecking order. I would let them do their thing unless they draw blood. Once you can see they are ok then you can coop them and pen them together with out a barrier.

Also make very certain that the farm you get the new chicken from does not have any illness going around. New hens should be quarentined for 30 days but most people dont follow this for some reason. The 30 days gives any illness time to surface and will allow you to catch it and contain it so it wont spread. Just something to consider. I quarentine any adult birds I bring in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks! That really helped because I really did not know how to be sure she wouldn't hurt the newbie! So how do I quarantine the new hen?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Ok thanks! That really helped because I really did not know how to be sure she wouldn't hurt the newbie! So how do I quarantine the new hen?
I have a seperate pen that I use for quarentine. Its only like maybe 10'x10' with a small 4'x4' size coop. Its fenced with netting over the top. Basically just put her somewhere to be penned that is away from your hens just in case. It doesnt have to be fancy, it can even be temporary.

Here is my hen I quarentined in the fall when a neighbor gave her to me, he found her in town by a bar lol. I use this pen for quarentines, juveniles, bad roosters, bad ducks, ect. Its just nice to have a back up place to put birds when you have alot floating around.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just added it on to make the run a little bigger but we are adding on too and renovating the run so that will be out of the run soon. It is what we usually keep chicks and pullets in till we are ready to sell them. So I guess that It might work for a while if me and my dad build a little shelter for her... But with the chicks we put bird netting over it for predators and that put tablecloths around the side they are sleeping on and of course on top if it is raining or really hot. And the young ones love it!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
That would work just fine for during the day. Do you have anything she can sleep in? Or maybe even cover the pen with something at night if you dont have predator issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes when we have young birds we cover the whole thing with boards on the side and on top and tablecloths. And none of the chicks had ever need killed with that system. Thank you so much for all the info!!!!! I don't know what i would do without this site! Oh yea one more thing. How will I know it is safe to remove her from quarantine?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would say by a couple weeks you she know by then if she was going to get sick. 30 days is just to absolutly make sure. so basically just watch her, if she doesnt have a runny nose, bloody poop, sneezing ect. Bascially if she looks normal she fine and you can put them together as long as they all get along.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Going trough this right now, we just got an Austrolorp this morning. We tried to divide our yard but she flew over the fence and in with the other birds, who weren't "draw blood" bad but ready to pounce. So, after I stayed out there with them awhile I decided to put them all back in the coop with attached run. I sectioned a part off to act as the newbie's coop for a few days. I don't have nearly the space you have, and am hoping she'll be ok in there. Her section is about the size of a standard dog house. She really wants to be with the other chickens but they don't want her around for now. I'm wondering if I should keep them all in the coop for a day or so, so that they can see each other. And as for the yard, newbie is a flier, and even with a clipped wing she tries to find every escape she can. So, you're not alone!

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's what I thought too. I was afraid clipping both sized would still make her feel even. She's pretty agile. My other two don't try to fly with just one wing. Mmmm? I'll give her a day or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts