ACV and garlic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by lorindaeb, Nov 20, 2012.

1. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

So I tried to give my girls water with ACV and garlic in it, but it was a no go. So this morning I made oatmeal and when it was done cooking I added the ACV and chopped garlic to it. They ate it right up. Will the ACV still be effective when it is warmed up?

2. Yolk

Yolk New Member

Hey Lorin, I put about a quarter cup of ACV to one gal water. Some put 2 TBS. They will drink from it in time. The garlic would be better off in spaghetti sauce.

3. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Yeah, just put a little ACV in the water, just not enough to change the taste. I have never heard of the garlic, except in spaghetti. Not saying others don't use it, I just have never heard of it.

4. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

I have heard that garlic is good for preventing worms and boosting the immune system....I may be wrong. But they seem to love it fresh. I don't eat a lot of spaghetti, so no sauce for them (in the tune of "no soup for you!" from the soup nazi! LOL). I will try just adding a little next time. I followed the advice of the guy at the feed store and he did 2 tbls in a gallon with chopped up garlic....the water was very potent smelling which I assume is why they thought "to heck with that!" I will try a smaller amount this next time. Thanks so much!!
    ~ Lorinda

5. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Yes, I have heard the same with these 2 ingredients. They are a natural de-wormer and natural antibiotics for them. There is another thread labeled garlic if you do a search and you will find lotsa info on it there. I have since used it with my silkie and my newly hatched button quail that has a problem with its eye, poor lil guy! I use ACV in their water then garlic powder in their feed. They don't mind it a bit.

6. Yolk

Yolk New Member

You can also use DT earth for worming and other things.

7. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Thanks! These are great!

8. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

I give mine garlic in their feed and they love it, as with us good for immune system and general health and apple cider vinegar in the water once a month for a week,if they are thirsty they will drink it and get used to it ,however mine seem to quite like it.

9. crazyfeathers_coop

crazyfeathers_coop Junior Member

Along with their usual grain mix and pellets I like to make up a mash using mill run and to that I add a little more grain, seaweed meal,livamol,molasses,dolomite, a little sulphur powder, and Apple Cider with garlic, and sometimes boost the protein level with some Whey Powder, they all love it.

10. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer New Member

I looked into ACV and there really isn't any evidence it does anything for chickens. It may help reduce algae in the water because it's acidic, but that's all. You can find a summary of any scientific research I found on the subject at:
    Chicken Water and ACV

11. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I know the scientific world does not care what we country folks know. ;) I have done my own research over 25 plus years ... I know what works on my homestead and what does not ... "Just a fact" ...

ACV & garlic are a great help here ... "Your mileage may vary"

:D

12. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer New Member

I think there's a more balanced approach to looking at the world that doesn't belittle science or traditional experience. I think traditional experience is a fine place to begin looking for answers but if they can't be proved out by a a scientifically controlled trial then there's no evidence that the home remedy works.

For example, oregano oil may prove a reasonable alternative to some antibiotics. Bayer Healthcare ran a trial and showed it effective in one case and Bell & Evans is currently testing this approach as well. This was recently reported in the New York times.

That said, I used to use an herbal remedy called Echinacea. About 10 years ago it was the rage. It was said that this helped prevent or lessen the impact of colds. I used it for 3 years and really couldn't see much of a difference. But many people swore by it.

In the intervening years, there have been numerous experiments and trials done on Echinecea and none could find any evidence that it works at all. So peoples perceptions in this case were dead wrong.

ACV may help chickens, but right now there isn't any evidence to prove it does. If you decide to add it, I doubt it will hurt but why not add something that you know will help like vitamins.