Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I should have asked before I did it but I have been giving my girls 1200mg of absorbable calcium. I am using the natures bounty brand and only giving one soft capsule for each if the girls. Do you guys think it is okay? They accrual ly fight over them and run around like they got a worm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Everyday??? I'd personally worry they'd be getting too much. Hypercalcemia can cause problems.
Was there a specific reason you started giving them the pill form?
Not everyone supplements with calcium. If you could get laying feed, it has added calcium. There's also calcium supplement (like oyster shell) made for hens you could just offer and allow the hens to have access to it and chose what they need. Another option would be to crush egg shells and offer those. If they free range, the hard shells of insects are another source. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not everyday. But I have noticed thin shells even though I do give them crushed shells layer feed and even oyster shell. I have some egg shells that are so so thin that when I pick them up I might as well give them back to the girls because my fingers go through them. I have done thus for a week now and things seem to be getting better but also no matter how many times I change out nesting material I have a group of eggs that are covered by what appears to be egg white and straw. They have received the supplement only 3 times.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I personally would not give people meds to poultry. Their not human and not nearly as large as we are to tolerate such a huge dose. I just cruch up eggs shells after using the eggs for cooking and give the the shells back for calcium. Never had an issue. I dont use oyster shells either.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah they have a huge run the only thing is my property is so shaded I have just a small patch of grass. Grass won't even grow in my yard. But yes they have acsess to the run 24:7

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also looked at vitamins for poultry at the feed store and the dosage for calcium was even higher than what I am giving the girls. I just thought why spend the money $18 at the feed store when this is a vitamin I already take $7 bogo and it will last me and the girls about 6 months

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Generally animals will seek out calcium if they need it. It's one of the few nutrients our bodies crave. If you give free access to calcium, they will help themselves as needed. Birds and mammals alike will fill their calcium needs naturally. They do need a source of Vit D to absorb and utilize the calcium, however, if they are going outside then all it takes is 15 minutes of sunlight or the equivalent to have enough Vit D.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Although I use "Layer Pellets" , which contains sufficient Calcium for laying hens....I never have provided additional Calcium like in the form of Oyster Shells. I do occasionally add ground-up egg shells to their feed.
I've never (in 6 or 7 years with chickens) had a THIN egg-shell.
I also don't provide grit. They get it from the ground of their Run. ( I did dump some sand out there that was left over from a concrete project.)

·
Banned
162 Posts
One of the things I noticed about the production White Leghorns I have is that for some reason they do not seem to utilize the oyster shell we provide well. So I did some research and found that adding apple cider vinegar to the water helps their bodies metabolize the calcium in the oyster shell. So when I find the white eggs (they're the only white egg layers I have) getting very thin shelled, I make sure to add ACV to the water, and it seems to even things out.

You might want to try that. I am not a "measurer" per se, so I use a splash of it in each water tray, but I believe the accepted amount is about one tablespoon per gallon of water.

I would try that rather than giving your chickens human calcium supplements. Just an idea...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use crushed oyster shells. Cheap and easy, they may not absorb much of it, but it works.

On one occassion I had a spell of thin shelled eggs. I supplemented with a vet product that is normally given to cows suffering milk fever. Calcium lactate, don't really know if it was effective, but the thin shelled egg crisis was cured. Came in an IV bag I addede it to the drinking water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts