Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might lose one of my RIR pullets early on as she didn't seem to be growing but she has rallied and is looking good.

I had gone pretty far to find barred rocks and brought home 6 ladies yesterday. We noticed one was kind of scraggly looking and man could she cheep loud! I've been watching her today and she has slept a ton and holds her wings out weird when she lays down. Then I checked on them around 4 this afternoon and she was lying on her side. I picked her up and hand fed her and gave her water but I have a feeling she just won't make it. She's smaller than everyone else and not really bright eyed. Trying electrolytes to see if that helps...

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sounds like a congenital heart condition from your description. That is a guess from way over in NJ with no pics. Good Luck to you both.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So she looks better this morning. She was eating and drinking. I actually wasn't sure which one she was... Until I heard her! Don't know if these pics help as she looks better but here's some shots. I cleared some pasty butt and cuddled her a bit. Maybe just the flight here then the long drive to our house was exhausting for her and she needed a little more time to recuperate?

image-2946413660.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm I took a video of her insanely loud chirp but can't figure out how to upload it. Does it have to be on YouTube and put in as a link?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is the only one doing that though. There are 11 others in the brooder. She chirps less if we are holding her.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to tell in the red light but here she is lying down sticking her wing out funny still. She definitely doesn't look good. But to be honest in really playing and touching them today three out of the six barred rocks look ragged. I'm wondering if it is just a waiting game to see if they thrive or not.

image-199192937.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's back to lying on her side. Really looks like she is struggling. My husband wants to cull her. Do you think there is any hope or we should be putting her out of her misery?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She cuddles in when we hold her. But the other chicks are being mean. They walk all over her and kick pine all over her. But then will cuddle her when they want to sleep. Ugh what a hard thing to do!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If she isn't moving around, just laying on her side, then something is probably wrong. I don't cull chicks for being lazy, but it's hard to say what is going on with typing. Just do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to give her one more day. I have been hand feeding her and forcing electrolyte water. She seems to wake up a bit after I do that. If she's not better tomorrow evening I will have my husband do what he has to.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keep here seprate in another box. That is wat i didcwith one of my ducklings after my dog got to her. She got here leg and couldnt walk on it much. Put her in a seprate brooder that was smaller with food and water closer to her so she wouldnt have walk. Now she is doing much better. If i kept with the others im sure they would have trampled her and got her wet with poop and water. She wouldnt be alive

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after more hand feedings and forcing electrolytes there is no improvement. I've told my husband to cull her. It breaks my heart but she is obviously not well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts