A rather large unwanted guest arrived in our chook pen!

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by ChickensSayMoo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

We recently had a visit from a pretty big carpet python! :eek:
    The chickens were kicking up a big racket, so I thought I had better go and take a look.
    I thought it was most likely a blue tongue lizard in their pen, as we have lots of them in our garden. BUT as I rounded the corner of their coop, there were 4 of my chickens standing around a 3 1/2 metre carpet python! Its body was about the thickness of a wine bottle! (at the fattest part):eek:
    While they are not poisonous, they can give you a very nasty bite! I am not a fan of snakes or even large spiders either for that matter.....
    In a mad panic, I managed to isolate the chickens from the snake :D
    It later disappeared into our neighbours garden....I really really hope we dont see it again!
    Not sure if the snake was there because of the chickens or their eggs, or maybe even just looking for water, as it has been very dry here for months. Or maybe she was just pasting through.... At least the chicken coop is snake & rat proof at night, thank goodness!
    Would a snake of that size be after my bantams or eggs???

Attached Files:

2. rob

rob New Member

wow ! so glad we dont have them :eek: it looks huge. do you get many of those ?

3. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

OHHHHHHH MYYYY GOSH... sorry but that would have been a dead snake ... after my shock of seeing a python first wore off.... CHIKES!!!!!

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Maybe you want to keep your chickens locked in their run until you resolve this snake issue. I would guess you will see this snake again.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

And I thought I had a snake problem ... :D

I would keep an eye out for it to come back...

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

He'd definitely swallow a Banty whole and wouldn't pay a bit of mind to your eggs..

7. ChickensSayMoo

Thanks for you replies everyone! I have never seen a snake of this size anywhere near here before. But who knows if it hasnt been around before? It was only because of the chickens that I knew it was there . Definately makes me more cautious in the garden, that is for sure! I have been keeping the chickens out of harms way, when I am not at home. If we see the snake again, my daughters friends Dad would like to have him. He has a snake licence & is very keen! Nearly as keen as I am for him to catch it and take it far far away! :D

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That would be a happy ending for all! Hope you get your wish.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree with cogburn ... that one could take a Banty (or two) with no problems ...

10. ChickensSayMoo

Thx everyone. I will be extra careful with my lovely chooks from now on. :)

11. aussiechicks

aussiechicks New Member

Here on the lovely Sunshine Coast we have a lot of carpet pythons, that one would be after either the eggs or the bantams the sad thing is the greedy buggers kill the chooks first before they even try to eat them. We've had a hen spat back out because it was to big.

12. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

One of the very best thing about living in Alaska, no snakes! I know it's crazy, but I would much rather deal with the bears than a snake!

13. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Yikes! That's one nasty big snake! I'd be keeping a shotgun nearby ready to grab.

14. ChickensSayMoo

So far we have not seen the snake again...hope it stays that way!
    We are not allowed guns here; unless you have a particular reason for needing one...not even sure if you are allowed to kill carpet pythons. I have a feeling that they are protected.
    I am pretty glad I dont need to deal with bears! kahiltna_flock :)

15. ChickensSayMoo

That doesnt sound good at all aussiechicks! We live not far from you :) on the outskirts of Brisvegas :)

16. ChickensSayMoo

That doesnt sound good at all!
    We live not far from you aussiechicks :) on the outskirts of Brisvegas :)

17. piglett

piglett Senior Member

my wife would cook that snake up :))))

18. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

something we do in the US is get garden netting scrunched up at the base of fences, snakes get caught in them, not sure if that would work on a python though

19. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Netting?

How would the netting work? Worked near,(Oil Patch) Woodward, OK for a short time. Saw a lot of snakes in OK. Just this spring I found one of the largest Gopher snakes I've ever seen in our pine tree wrapped around a Robin's nest. I ran to get my camera, but it was gone by the time I got back.

Years ago, our kids captured a Bull snake about 18" long. They placed it in a tall, 32" tall aquarium in the basement. My wife asked if we should cover the aquarium, and I said, "there's now way that snake could get out of the aquarium". "I would build a cover in the morning." Checked in the morning and that snake was gone!:eek: Somewhere in the house.:confused:

I joined a forum on snakes and they said we should have locked that snake down like Fort Knox, since snakes are tenacious in efforts to escape. We never did find that snake.

I once saw a video on youtube of a Bull snake going from nest to nest, of Swallows, under a bridge, eating the babies. Then just falling to the road below.

I'm not generally afraid of snakes, but one as big as a wine bottle would trip my "whack" levers. Something with a long handle and lethal end.:eek:

20. havasu

havasu Active Member

I believe I would have used a sharp shovel and turned that snake into two halves :)