1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two peafowl.

ForumRunner_20130603_193531.jpg

IMG_20130525_165759-1.jpg

This is what they look like. I thought 1 was a male bc he does this all the time!

ForumRunner_20130603_193808.jpg

I thought the other was a female until today when she was doing this

IMG_20130603_182352-1.jpg
As you can see their coloring is drastically different. The 1 I thought was a male has alot more white on its body, its wings are a reddish brown color and his neck and head look to be blue but has some green in certain light. The other has very little white anywhere, its wings the same color as its body no red tint to them and her/ his head and neck look to be a dark green color with maybe a little blue in certain light but not much. I'm being told I have a pair and females CAN strut and do on occasion and I'm hoping this is true! They are just at a year old and this is my 1st time having peafowl so Idk? Can someone give me your opinion please? Is it a pair or are they 2 males just different colors?

Attachments

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'm afraid of :( would you have any idea what varietys?
I am so confused! I was reading online that india blue peacocks will have rust colored feathers fine by me the 1 who looks blue and does all the strutting is suppose to be a male. But the other 1 is tricky. I'm not having much luck with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The blue is the male and green is the female.
Sometimes when they are young the females will try to stut.
Those don't look that old. They won't start to breed until they are around two years old.
I have a few females that stut but as they get older, that stops.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blue is the male and green is the female.
Sometimes when they are young the females will try to stut.
Those don't look that old. They won't start to breed until they are around two years old.
I have a few females that stut but as they get older, that stops.
Thank you. They are just coming up on a year and yesterday was the first time the 1 I thought was a female ever strutted. The other 1 does it all the time. He will chase her around strutting and shaking his feathers but she just ignores him. But she was strutting at my buff orp chicks lol I feel better now thank you.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are worth the wait. I have had this guy over 15 years.
15 years? Wow ! He is beautiful! I wanted them as yard ornaments I guess you could say? I have read ALOT about breeding and incubating even though I'm a year or so away from that with mine. But it made me terrified to try it lol sounds very complicated. Do you breed and sell chicks or eggs? Iv heard there are places that buy shed feathers. Do you do that? I'm just curious as to what everyone else uses their peafowl for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been picking up the tail feathers for wow many years. I sold some for a dollar each one time at a car show. I never tried to sell the baby chicks or the eggs. I just let them grow.
I maybe have around 50 birds. They are not kept in a coop or sealed pen. They pretty much go where they want. If I can keep the *****,cats and snakes cleared out, about 5 or 6 out of 10 chicks make it full grown.

These 5 were born about 4 days ago.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow that is amazing. I would be terriffied for the babies if they were just out like that. Lol I could only imagine the chaos it would cause with my other birds not to mention predators which I have plenty of. Iv delt with hawks, stray cats, coyotes, owls, and had a bob cat make a meal of 2 of my ducks :( I even had an issue with my own dogs cost me 3 hens and my beloved hen turkey that I had searched for months to find and had only had for about 3 weeks. My toms free range and roost ourside iv never lost one. The peacocks had been roosting in the coop but now that its getting warm they like to sleep outside. And really its ok with me bc they are about to big to roost in the coop. It was designed for chickens. I think that's amazing though! 50 birds wow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts