Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have what I believe to be a Legbar. I thought it was a hen but it has started to crow somewhat feebly each morning. I work on a farm and it’s in good hands but someone ditched a few chickens on the side of the road here and I need help identifying one and sexing both of them. One is a Deleware Blue. Haven’t heard it crow yet.
Bird Plant Beak Phasianidae Road surface

Bird Chicken Galliformes Poultry Grass

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response. I was thinking this was a cream Legbar. I have purchased two actual 6 week hens of the same species and built a 9.71 square foot coop with a run. That gives them a little more than three interior square ft each. Should the rooster be in there with them or do I need to slowly introduce them? I can’t take the rooster into the main barn here because there already is one and the one I have is much smaller.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The first bird is male, but not a pure Legbar. He is single-factor barred (meaning he's not pure for the barring gene as a Legbar male should be) and his leg color is wrong. I would suspect that he's a Black Copper Marans x Legbar cross olive-egger, which would account for the leg color and not being pure for barring.

The second one is not a Delaware Blue, either. Delaware Blues have large single combs and they wouldn't have that little tuft of a crest. He is a male, though. He is likely also an olive-egger or Easter-egger mix.

It's so sad that people think it's acceptable to dump them instead of trying to find a proper home for them. :( Good on you for taking them in!

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Thanks, you two. I don't know what I'd do without you.

@Cadaigle that's a bit small for a coop. Should be 4 sq ft of open floor space. In other words no space taken by a nest or food and water. I sure hope your run is a lot larger.

All you can do is test to see if it's OK to put the two ladies in with him. BTW, how old are they. If they're still too young he might make life miserable for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just re measured it and the open floor space is 10.28 sqf. I am still constructing it and will hang the nest boxes over the edge to preserve that floor space. Perhaps I’ll just keep the two new hens in there when I get them and maybe the Legbar mix if I see that they are getting along. The roosters are let out all day every day and seem to stay within 30ft of their food and water. Right now I put them in a 10’x12’ canvas tent with a roost food and water at night. As of now they are getting along fine with each other but I know that could very well change as they mature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

@Cadaigle that's a bit small for a coop. Should be 4 sq ft of open floor space. In other words no space taken by a nest or food and water. I sure hope your run is a lot larger.

All you can do is test to see if it's OK to put the two ladies in with him. BTW, how old are they. If they're still too young he might make life miserable for them.
I forgot to mention that they are 6 week cream Legbar hens that are due to ship on the 13th of September. I do not have them yet and can still make adjustments to their coop. The frame is 36x41.125 and it’s up off the ground with a mini run beneath. They will be free range though with a much larger fenced in area. The picture is what the farmers do here with their egg layers. They let them out all day and move the whole setup to a different patch of grass every week. I could do something similar on a much smaller scale here.
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Land lot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes a very similar setup only on a less crowded scale. I’ll update a picture of the coop that I’m building tomorrow. I added a 12” by 42” bump out on the back exterior for the two hens to nest without taking up sq ft. It’s hard to say how old the rooster is being an abandoned one although it only started to crow three days ago. The farmers wanted nothing to do with them but I’ll make sure both the hens and the roosters are all well cared for. If they don’t get along I’ll keep them separated until the hens mature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If by any chance they do get along and one day decide to brood, do you think the eggs would then be green? It would be cool to have both blue eggs from the cream Legbars and green ones from the hybrid hens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, my Legbar hybrid sits on my knee at all times and crows outside of the am ritual only when he knows I’m going to work or leaving him for a bit. He stays within about 30 ft of the tent I have for him even when I’m not there.
Bird Photograph Newspaper Vertebrate Black

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
The 1st rooster is a polish legbar mix ( polish chickens can be "candycorn" colors ,really pretty) the head feathers is a polish crest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I did! So far just the two Cream Legbar Hens are in it. I think I’m going to have to slowly introduce the polish Legbar mix to them. I don’t know what to do with the Easter egger rooster (the gray one) it would be great to grow a small flock next summer and possibly have more egg colors for the farm to sell. Keeping Johnny Blue around for the Easter egger gene might help with that.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
That coop is amazing omg.
Both the rooster and hen determine egg color. If the rooster is a ccl mix then he has 1 copy of the blue gene.. but being a mix there is no guarantee that his blue egg gene will produce a chick that lays blue eggs. You would need a ccl hen or Americana hen who lays blue eggs to breed with the ccl mix rooster. Hatch out those chicks and wait for the chicks to mature to see what color eggs they lay.

I used to breed my pure ccl rooster to some of my brown egg layers and I'd get light olive eggs from those chicks once they matured and laid eggs and brown eggs.

The hens that lay blue eggs bred with your rooster have a good chance of producing chicks that will possibly lay blue eggs as well. The polish mix side lays light cream eggs so you might get light cream or tan eggs ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts