Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 hens that are 7 months old. 4 of them have been laying consistently for a couple of months, but one has not laid. She isn't 'squatting' when approached from overhead, either. She is a New Hampshire. Do some hens never lay?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yes, some never do. Give her the rest of her 7th month and then I'd cull her. Some heritage breed chickens like the NH can mature a little later but I draw the line past 7 mo.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
There can be a number of reasons she isn't laying. Do you free range ? Can you post a pic of her? Do you provide supplemental light? Are you getting any brown eggs ? I wouldn't kill her just because she is 1 month past the approximated average starting time. Each breed and bird is different and may sooner or later than the estimated 20 - 24 weeks old.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They do free range for a few hours each day. They get lots of light. I'll post a pic later today. I get brown eggs in varying shades from pinkish to darker brown from my other four ladies. My three girls adore these chickens and they all have names, so I'm hesitant to serve one for dinner just yet! However, I don't want to feed and care for a bird that doesn't produce.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was suspicious of a hidden nest, too, but we heavily seeded our yard a few weeks ago and had to keep them in their coop for a week until it germinated to keep the chickens from eating the grass seed! Five hens = 4 eggs/day for 10 days...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Five eggs today!!!! I guess all it took was telling you lovely folks and the threat of culling :)
I know I can't expect five eggs a day everyday, but until it happened, I had to presume one wasn't laying. Yay!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yes 5 hens would account for 4 eggs. Chickens dont lay 7 days a week, they will skip a day here and there and if their skipped days are different from another bird in the flock then it will always look like your short an egg or two.

Congrats on getting your 5th egg. If in the future its not always 5 a day no worries , this is how chickens work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Apyl said:
There can be a number of reasons she isn't laying. Do you free range ? Can you post a pic of her? Do you provide supplemental light? Are you getting any brown eggs ? I wouldn't kill her just because she is 1 month past the approximated average starting time. Each breed and bird is different and may sooner or later than the estimated 20 - 24 weeks old.
So true, my SLW just laid her first egg at 27 weeks. Yesterday my youngest, a buff Orpington laid her first, and another today. I swapped for her,so don't know her exact age, but think she is under 20 weeks, since she was pretty little when I got her 10 weeks ago. I was totally surprised. Now for my 2 Ameraucanas to start!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
puppidoodle said:
So true, my SLW just laid her first egg at 27 weeks. Yesterday my youngest, a buff Orpington laid her first, and another today. I swapped for her,so don't know her exact age, but think she is under 20 weeks, since she was pretty little when I got her 10 weeks ago. I was totally surprised. Now for my 2 Ameraucanas to start!
I have a 37 week old EE that is nearing the same fate!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I run a little more tight operation due to economics. If they aren't laying near the appropriate age, I've found when they actually do lay they are not likely to be my best, consistent layers so would wind up in the yearly cull anyway.

I realize most are keeping chickens as hobbies or pets, but in a farming or homesteading situation~my only frame of reference~chickens are for saving on money, not for expending money. If even one is not pulling her weight, but is eating feed, it counts up....because where does one draw the line? If you give in on one, you will soon find yourself with a flock that puts out a few eggs now and again, while still eating their way through their food supply.

A working flock that saves money and even makes one money needs to be working at a more proficient rate. If a working flock is not the goal, then, yeah...waiting until each hen gets around to laying and being satisfied with mediocre laying would be a natural idea. They are then just pets who happen to lay an egg now and again, which is more than the other pets can accomplish for their feed. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a light Bramha who is 10 month old. She does not lay. She does sit in the box and tries. My other three who are different breeds and the same age as her have been laying since February... She is part of my flock and will stay as long as she lives, but I am worried about her health.

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts