6 toed silkie?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by sideways, Jan 29, 2013.

1. sideways

sideways New Member

Ones anyone else have what looks to me as a 6 toed silkie? He is a young Roo.

image-2214713371.jpg

image-1646698953.jpg

2. sideways

sideways New Member

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know Silkies are supposed to have 5. I'm not sure I see 6 cause the lateral look like feathers.

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Is the 6th toe that lil nub on the last inner toe?

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I had silkies that were a little too closely related :eek: and they had lots of toes. Luckily everything else was fine, just extra toes. And it looked like the toes branched out of toes. Crazy.

6. sideways

sideways New Member

Yes the 6th is on the 5th.... Strange!
    Yes I think they are from close blood lines as another from the same batch can't really see and is a bit odd. Shame really as I'd of liked to have hatched out some of their eggs!!

7. DarkRedBird

DarkRedBird New Member

All silkies should have 5 toes according to the Standard of Perfection. Having the incorrect number is usually genetics but occasionally problems in incubation can be the cause.

8. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

This is right up your alley friend....a Silkie thread!!! :D

We call 6 toe chickens FREAKS where I come from but it does make for an interesting conversation piece!!! Bet it would still make EXCELLENT "black skin" chicken soup....the Asian's believe it has healing properties, it certainly tastes different to me and the meat is blackish, too!!!

9. realsis

realsis New Member

I'm a silkie lover too! Mine have 5 toes but six is very cool! Different! I could not really see the sixth toe in the pic, is it smaller? I was reading that sometimes if it's incubated at a incorrect temp it can cause strange little occurrences like that to happen. Also could be inbreeding like stated above. He really pretty and special! I love the color! You got one special boy there! How old is he?

10. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

3rd hatch of Silkie eggs and I have 1 with 6 toes. They are strictly pets so I am not concerned. Will post a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum