44% crude protein chicken meal mix?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Keaton Hughes, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

20200224_184553.jpg 20200224_184545.jpg Hello, new to the forum and have a question. I cant find anything on google to reallt help. I got a crazy deal on a bunch of chicken feed today. 9, 50lb bags of 16% protein layer feed, 5, 5lb bags of oyster shells and 17, 50lb mags of "meal" all for $180. It is country acres brand. a44% crude protein mix along with other things. I will try to attach pictures of the tag.

My question, what and how much do i need to mix with this feed? I live on a farm and a nearly unlimited supply of corn and soybeans and also have a feed grinder. Im just not sure what to mix with it. (I only have 14 chickens, going to get 3 more but still not very many for this much feed but it was too cheap to pass up). It is stored in a mostly temperature controlled attached garage so it should last a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

That's a scary high protein percentage.

I've never heard of it. Maybe someone else has. In the mean time I'll do a little digging to see if I can find an answer.

It also might be worth it to contact country acres to see if they can help.

BTW, did you check the age dates on the feed?

3. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

I did not check the dates. It is a local grain elevator that recently stopped selling feed and is only doing grain, fertilizer, anhydrous etc. It hasnt been there too long, they just wanted it gone. As for the protein, yes it is very high but it is not meant to be fed straight. It is supposed to be mixed. But what it is to be mixed with and how much is what i do not know.

4. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

It is all about 2months old. So a little older than i thought but they are all still sealed. So i probably need to try to sell some of it off to neighbors before it goes bad. How long do i have before it is considered no good?

5. robin416

Me either. At 44% it would be very little to a 50# bag. But what is a little is the question. I zoomed in on the tag to read what the mixing recommendations were. I'd ignore that business with the corn since you have layer feed.

Divide the the big number into the small number. That will give you the pound or less to mix in 50# of feed.

The strange thing is that there is no online presence of the company.

Six months or less. The fresher the more nutrients remaining in the feed. Vitamins begin to degrade fairly quickly.

6. robin416

It looks like 2/10ths of a pound of meal to a pound feed ration . Be aware we don't know how much that's jacking up the protein in the feed. It could still be too high. If it stays at about 20% that's very doable. I've kept my birds on 20% all of their lives.

Don't mix the calcium in the feed. Just offer it free choice.

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

That meal is for production chickens, the ones that are bred specifically for meat and not eggs. It's really high in protein and what you can expect if you feed that to them is they will get very heavy and their legs will become useless sticks, they won't be able to walk or stand. You don't want to feed that to them unless you are trying to sell chicken meat and don't care about their actual health. I'm sure that's not the case with you, so if you can sell it to someone nearby, that would probably be best. It can be used for goats I believe.
    If you are going to mix it with your chicken's regular feed, I would go half of the recommended amount (1/10th) just to make sure you aren't giving them too much protein. Protein is good for them but like with cake for us...too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Like Robin said 20% protein is good, don't go over that.

Maryellen likes this.
  8. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

Problem is, idk the "recommended amount" lol

9. robin416

Sylie pointed out all the issues that can come with adding too much protein. Well, most of them anyway.

Ask me if I'd do it. No, I wouldn't. I mixed gamebird feed at a higher percentage level than the 20% I feed just so my birds could have animal protein but it was a very small amount to keep the protein from creeping up too much.

10. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

That's similiar to a premix.DoNOT use the 44% straight by itself.
    per the tag broken down for 16% layer. 24lbs meal,67lbs corn,9 lbs calcium =100lbs 16% complete layer feed.

Maryellen likes this.
  11. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

12lbs meal,33.5 lbs corn,4.5lbs calcium =50lbs complete %16 layer feed.
    6 lbs meal ,16.75 lbs corn,2.25 lbs calcium =25 lbs complete %16 layer feed.
    .6 lbs meal , 1.675 lbs corn ,.225lbs calcium = 2.5 lbs of complete %16 layer feed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  12. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Those mixes are made for people who have a lot of chickens in different stages of life and have access to their own corn.

13. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

This is what i use to use.Picture is FOR EXAMPLE ONLY 01mix.JPG

14. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

I do have access to corn. And lots of it. Lol.

15. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

This is very helpful thankyou!! Seems as though i will need to sell off alot of this feed before it goes bad. Lol

16. Keaton Hughes

Keaton Hughes New Member

So to us
    so to use a complete 50lb bag of meal, i need to use about 140lbs of corn and 20lbs calcium? Am i reading that correctly?

Nm156 likes this.
  17. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Sounds right.