4 weeks, Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by Marie Mitchell, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

Can anyone please help me figure out if these are roosters? They are 4 weeks old. The white is a lavender Orpington/ white leghorn mix. The black is a Plymouth Rock/ Americana mix. Thank you! IMG_3810.jpg IMG_3812.jpg

2. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

I have 4 others to compare them to if needed

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

At four weeks with that much comb I want to say boys. But you already know I'm wrong more than I'm right with other breeds.

I should probably keep my fingers still until someone else comes along first to let you know. :p

mitzy123point likes this.
  4. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

The ones that are mixed with leghorn all have almost as big combs but this one is slightly bigger and more pink. The black one that’s a Plymouth Rock mix I have besides this one doesn’t even have a comb but I thinks it’s mixed with a different breed. And it’s black with no brown on it like this one. These are the two I was afraid from the beginning were roosters but I wasn’t sure so your opinion helps a lot to reassure me

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  5. robin416

No, don't listen to me when it comes to sexing breeds that are not Silkies. I don't want to lead you astray. This is one way for me to learn why I'm wrong or right.

You know one of the others will pass through and either tell me I'm still an idiot or that I've finally learned something.

6. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

Just to be sure. These are the four others that I think are hens... please if I’m wrong let me no. This way you have a better comparison.

7. TomC

TomC Active Member

My guess is the first one first one more than likely a roo, good comb and already starting to get wattles. The second one maybe, a healthy comb but not much for wattles yet. My barred rock roo came in with both about the same time.

8. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

In your original 2 pictures that you started this thread with, they are both roo's
    In the second set of pictures (post #7)
    picture 1 is pullet
    picture 2 is roo
    picture 3 is roo
    picture 4 is pullet

:)

9. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

Nooooo!!!! Seriously I have 2 hens? And 4 roosters?! Those are the worst odds ever! I incubated them with the kids! O they are going to be sad to see them leave!

10. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

The others have smaller combs and longer tail feathers so I was hoping they were hens

11. robin416

Want to talk about awful outcomes? Seventeen eggs hatched, fifteen were male.

But because they were a rare color at the time I could rehome them pretty easily. So, I got lucky in that reguard.

12. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

O my goodness! That’s amazing you could rehome them! And wow those were terrible outcomes too! Haha. I’m glad I was a little crazy and decided yesterday to pre order two full breed Plymouth rocks to add Friday morning. We originally wanted 4 but then we were going to keep all of them if no roosters and I was going to add to them haha. Now we will be back to 4 and hopefully the two new chicks will help my kids get over the roosters since the roosters were my kids and their back ups are the other roosters!

13. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Active Member

Sadly I’m agreeing with Sylie
    The first two (first post) are roosters
    Then
    Hen, roo, possibly roo, hen

14. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

Thanks for confirming also! Wow I’m shocked I hatched so many roosters!

15. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry about the luck here :( I think you're right about the new chickens helping ease the kids, just tell them you are swapping a couple of them out :)

16. Marie Mitchell

Marie Mitchell Member

Ya sadly I got them ready to get rid of two... but 4?! Haha o boy! This won’t be fun at all! Luckily though I already may have found a home for two of them so the kids will be able to see they are going to good homes

Sylie likes this.