4-5 week old chick question

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by dbell, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dbell

dbell New Member

I now have about 20-25 chicks that are 4-5 weeks old. I just moved them to a larger brooder. I noticed prior to my moving them that some of the birds looked as if they had lost feathers, as if molting. Do chicks this age lose feathers and regrow them? Or do I have other problems?

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

At 4-5 weeks old, they don't moult, so I would assume that you have other problems. Where are they losing feathers? All over, or just on tailfeathers? Do they seem to be preening alot? Or pecking at each other?

3. dbell

dbell New Member

Loosing feathers on neck and back. Tail feathers are fine. Not preening alot. No fighting, that I see. Plenty of space for the chicks. No mites that I see. I'm including a probiotic and electrolite in their water. I will try to post a pic later this morning.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Roos will do that during breeding. Just saying.

5. dbell

dbell New Member

These chicks are just 4-5 weeks old. I hope it is not time for the roos to start breeding.

6. dbell

dbell New Member

Now upon further inspection, it seems that only my black orps are having this problem. My hatch had black and lavender orps, RIW's and RIR's. It seems everyone else looks OK, just my black orps.

7. realsis

realsis New Member

Do you have a pic you can post? Do you see new feathers coming in? Or is it balding in that area? I'm new also but my 4 week old chicks are not losing feathers but growing new ones. Perhaps a pic could help someone diagnose the problem, if there is a problem? I wish you the best.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pics are always useful.

A pic is worth a thousand words.