Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep! That's right, I'm on the way to my 3rd of the year.

41 eggs set.

22 black sexlinks
19 Rhode Island reds

2nd hatch 27 black sexlinks are in the hatcher right now, due to bust out Monday the 25th.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st hatch sold quick.

I procrastinated on saving eggs for the second hatch, so I'm trying to catch up. Have a waiting list for BSLs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And 4th hatch set today!

22 BSLs
19 RIRs

Looking for a March 19th hatch.

3rd hatch is set for a March 15th hatch.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I hatch for fun. I just give away what I can't keep.
I never fool myself. I don't believe I have ever made feed cost.
The sales are simply to reduce some of the expenses. $150-$200 worth of animal feeds a month, I might get $60 a month in chick sales.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two homemades.

One a simple plywood box with wire shelves, the second a small converted fridge. I can do 82 in the fridge at one time, then up to 5 dozen in the box. I use little giant egg turners that hold 41 eggs. Currently I have 2 turners, so for a practical reasoning I am turner limited on egg capacity.

The box can hatch 5 dozen if I use cartons but its a real pain to turn eggs for 18 days.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must have jinxed it.

Got home last evening. Incubator #1 tem reading 84*. Well naturally I remained composed, whilst running around cursing, fuming, and other karma neutral, activities. Thought for a momment grabbed the thermometer out of incubator #2, put it in #1, let it sit for 30 long minutes. 99.9*. Thermometer was broke. Ran out to the new petsmart, got me a vet meds, reptile digital thermometer $9.95. Comes with a remote sensor. I'm pleased as punch. Put both thermometers in the same incubator, after 30 minutes they were within .5*
That's good in my book.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I love those reptile thermometers. I have one in each bedroom as it will give temp and humidity too. My son has a piano and woodwinds and so we need to keep humidity at like 40-50%. And they last for years. Good science by the way. If you don't like the result, repeat the test. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks for thinking of me. I woke up to check and I have one pip and heard a peep from the polish. Yay, as that's the one I was really rooting for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harch 3 10 day candling

Pulled
4 black sexlinks and 2 rhode island red eggs

eggs remaining
19 BSLs
17 RIRs
36 total eggs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hatch 4, 10 day candling

started with 22 black sexlinks, 19 rhode island reds.

Removed 6 eggs, 5 black sexlinks and 1 rhode island reds.

total remaining

17 black sexlinks
18 rhode island reds

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a 2nd reptile thermometer yesterday.

I put both thermometers in the same incubator with the sensors tied together. 24 hours later I have .2*f difference in the 2 thermometers.

I think I have found the answer to my search for an accurate thermometer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts