Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Find out that 3 of my 9 chickens are roosters, one silkie roo that is mean to the hens, and 2 egger roos, they all are about 5-6 months old, my question is should I get rid of the roos? The easter eggers seem easy going and well mannered but I do not want any future issues. Any help or insight would be great:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, I would for sure get rid of the Silkie roo if he is already causing problems. And the easter eggers might be fine for now. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Schwap said:
Find out that 3 of my 9 chickens are roosters, one silkie roo that is mean to the hens, and 2 egger roos, they all are about 5-6 months old, my question is should I get rid of the roos? The easter eggers seem easy going and well mannered but I do not want any future issues. Any help or insight would be great:)
If you only have 9 chickens, three being Roos, you need to cut back to one. Pick the best temperament.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I started with four Roos and got down to two. I thought they would be ok, but I ended up having to get rid of one. He attacked the other Roo. So now only one Roo for my 12 hens

·
Registered
18 Posts
Watch the roosters and get rid of the over aggressive rooster. The others Should get along better once alpha and beta is established in the flock

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
More hens. Less roosters. Pretty soon you will have a flock of bare-backed hens. Bare skin on a chicken is an invitation to possible injury, sunburn, pestilence and infection. Each time a rooster climbs on a bare backed hen she is in danger of getting injured from his spurs and claws.

There should never be an excuse for a continual bare backed hen in a flock, even in molt. They may lose feathers there in the molting process but they should never be completely exposed to the sun, bugs and injury like a rooster-ridden hen. Whenever I see on in a flock I know that either they have too many roos to hens or they have hens that have poor feathering and are too docile...that's only happened once in my flocks and the birds were BO.

The BOs were culled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts