Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah......:( it seems like lately there have been so many disappointing roosters. Oh well, I'm sorry you ended up with a boy! btw there is such a thing as a black orpington
Yes. But he/she has feathers on her feet. Other than that he/she looks like an orp.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts
Oh no way roo, there are no signs of saddle feathers, also looks like pullet, when my black chicken was a chick and when it was you chickens age it had the same size comb and now she is laying! I'm saying definite pullet!:)

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts
They have not grown in yet. Saddles do not come until 12-14 weeks. Also due to the trace amounts of chick down I would say this bird is a bit younger than 3 months.
Well she did say the bird was 12 weeks so saddles should be showing.
I'm still saying pullet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
12 weeks is an average, not a guarantee. I've seen them come in as early as 5 weeks and as late as 16 weeks. The lack of them visible at this point does not mean this is a pullet.

Agree 100% with ChickenBiscuts, this is a cockerel. Waaaay too much comb and wattle growth for a 12-week-old pullet, plus those huge feet! I really don't think he's pure Orpington either, with that much foot feathering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry but I agree that’s he’s a roo. Those legs are super thick and the comb and wattles are the size of my girls combs and wattles, and my girls are 6 months old.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
12 weeks is an average, not a guarantee. I've seen them come in as early as 5 weeks and as late as 16 weeks. The lack of them visible at this point does not mean this is a pullet.

Agree 100% with ChickenBiscuts, this is a cockerel. Waaaay too much comb and wattle growth for a 12-week-old pullet, plus those huge feet! I really don't think he's pure Orpington either, with that much foot feathering.
Yes. I agree with the feathering on the feet. It’s strange as this chicken came from a reputable farm and was not cheap. Oh well.
And yes, the feet are thick.
But this chicken is a lot more docile than one of the older pullets

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts
Still just looks like a pullet honestly I am seeing nothing that says Cockerel, and yes the comb is big but that doesn't mean Cockerel.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Look closely at the second pic. Look at the Silkie closely.

Gin, you need to explain that second pic a bit. I just realized his hand is palm down so your "girl" chose to sit there.

BTW, good looking kid too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look closely at the second pic. Look at the Silkie closely.

Gin, you need to explain that second pic a bit. I just realized his hand is palm down so your "girl" chose to sit there.

BTW, good looking kid too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi. Hope you are well.
1. You said look closely at the silkie. Meaning?
Are we still discussing gender?

2. Barbara-ghere was sitting close to Jackson. He was petting her. When he dropped his hand, she/he perched on it.

3. Thank you. I’ll keep the kid.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Am I seeing things or is the Silkie got its head cocked like one of Maryellen's birds looking to be fed? Good heavens, she's going to shoot me because I can't remember what they're called.

That's really sweet that "she" did that. And that he let her.

You mean to tell me he hasn't hit that phase yet where you try to give them away to anyone nearby? :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts