Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the baby chicks hatched today!!

Please excuse all the feathers. They belong to my dad's Red Star chicks (they live in a pen right beside my Silkies and they're molting, soooo). For some odd reason there are rocks everywhere, too.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Congratulations, you have a new peep. Are there any more eggs left to hatch?

Peep actually looks like it could be a couple of days old. Where's mom? She should be hovering making sure you don't do something wrong. :giggle:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! She has four eggs left that she's still sitting on.

Really? I feed them this morning and didn't see anything. She was right beside the chick. I didn't get her in the picture. She did seem like she didn't want me messing with the chick. Earlier, he/she was on the other side of the pen.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Yeah, newly hatched peeps usually stay under Mom the first day or two. Unless you pick Mom up you don't even know they're there.

I'd candle those remaining eggs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that explains it.

Yes, I am planning on doing that. Is it okay if I bring them inside to candle them or wait 'til the sun goes down?

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Yes, you can take them in to candle. It won't hurt them.

Make sure peep knows about food and water if the eggs are viable. Mom won't budge as long as she has the eggs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I candled the remaining eggs. I couldn't really see anything. One smelled like death (I threw that one away). She is sitting on them now.

Yes, ma'am. Thank you! Btw, Dawn was pecking the chick. What should I do about that?

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Like she was trying to drive it off?

You probably need to take those two eggs. It's been long enough now if they were viable they would have hatched. Then watch to see if she accepts the peep to take care of.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know. My brother said she was pecking it. I didn't see it. Knowing Dawn, she probably was. LOL.

Yeah, probably. Thank you!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Keep an eye on her. It's not normal for adult like Dawn to drive off her peeps. First time Moms will do it or even kill them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, okay. Thank you. I will. You have been an amazing help. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will keep posting pictures. I'd like to get him/her in the grass. Would make for a better picture. Yes, he/she has a couple little black spots. Just might be! We'll see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There appears to be a scratch on my camera. Or maybe just a smudge.

He/she is getting more little black spots.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay! If it's a hen, I plan to keep her. Mom is always with him/her. She seems to doing a good job. I haven't seen Dawn peck the chick.

Yes, the only egg.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
That's if the spots I can see are black. Dawn is the black hen. What color is the roo? I've forgotten.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Dang, then I don't know what peep is. I'd have to do some digging but I think black to lavender should give you either black or lavender peeps. Not one that's spotted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts