2 week old chicken not growing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by Irina Penanen, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

SmallFeather.jpg I have 15 16-day-old pullets, and most of them have grown long wing feathers and are beginning to grow body and tail feathers. One chicken however has short wings and no sign of other feathers coming in. Her comb and wattle are on par with the others and she loves flapping up to perches, pecking at stuff, and eating as much as the next chicken. She seems a bit smaller, but not much- it could just be that the others' wings make them seem larger. Is something wrong with her?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
    MadDojah likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

From the angle of that shot that looks more like a little boy because the comb appears larger than the others.

I wouldn't worry about it since everything else seems normal. Some are just slow.

Love the side eye you were getting.

Irina Penanen likes this.

3. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

They're sex-linked so I really hope it's a girl...

The fact that only one out of 15 was anywhere near this slow was worrying me, I thought she might have worms or something and figured I ought to check.
    The chicks have the cutest facial expressions : )

4. robin416

They're much too young to have worms. The worms have a specific life cycle so your peeps would have to be older and be outside to have them.

I have nine Guinea keets right now. One is the same age but half the size of it's siblings. And they are siblings, I have both parents. Genetically something isn't right with this one and I do worry so I get why you're worrying.

5. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

You mentioned the guinea keet when I was asking about my red star that died, I'm glad to hear it's still alive at least. I hope my pulley grows feather soon though, I'm hoping to let them run around the coop for a bit once they're 3 weeks old.

6. robin416

If it's warm enough outside you can still let them outside even if not fully feathered. Here it's in the 90's plenty warm enough for fluffy behinds to be outdoors.

Not saying it's doing great because it absolutely is not growing. It's fully feathered but wings are still bigger than it's little body.

7. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

One of my chicks has lots of feathers, her tail feathers are pretty significant and her wings go past her body, the little fluffball can't keep up with her own feathers. I hope your meet manages to pull off a bit more growth.

8. robin416

Sometimes I wonder why we do these things to ourselves. :cool: But after a day with them I realize that even the days there are challenges still make having the birds in our lives so very worth it.

9. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

It is definitely worth it, I'm glad I have my chicks.

robin416 likes this.
  10. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

If the chick in your hand is the chick in question, it is most likely a rooster. The comb is more defined, it rounds up, almost like standing up where the other girls are sloped toward the back of their heads. If it is a rooster, this is why it is maturing slower than the others. It is not uncommon and actually, you should expect it. He'll catch up in time. Nothing to worry about :) You're doing just fine.

11. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

S/he seems to be eating and active, so I suppose I'll try not to worry. Though it would be really funny if the hatchery managed to give me a rooster despite them being sexed and a sex-link breed.

12. robin416

That screwing up by hatcheries seems to be happening a lot this year.

13. Sylie

Yep, hatcheries are doing a terrible job, I noticed it a little bit last year but this year it seems like they hired idiots to do their sexing.

14. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

I suppose they have a lot to do with Covid making it difficult for them and people (Including me I suppose) buying so many chickens. Can't say I would mind a rooster, we'll have plenty of eggs either way and I hear they can be sweethearts, though if it's a rooster it would need a crow collar. My chicken does have the characteristics of a female as far as feathers go, which might have led to a mishap if it is somehow a roo.

15. robin416

Didn't even think about the virus making things more complicated for the nurseries.

Now you're going to have to make sure we know if it was a she or a he.

16. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

Would some more pictures help? maybe I can switch to the which gender is this forum as that seems to be the concern at this point.

17. robin416

I'd leave it here since this is where you started, that way there's continuity to the subject. A new pic in two weeks would be good.

18. Sylie

I have only one thing to say and it is a hot button for me....crow collars are inhumane and dangerous and should be outlawed. I had one at one point and my rooster died trying to get out of it before I could catch him and take it off, he did a jump flippy, flying thing right into the side of the coop and broke his neck.
    I have a severe hatred of those things. I would never have used it had I realized just how inhumane it is. It restricts their breathing if you get it on "right", if you watch videos online, you may see some where the chicken is fine with it, I did, that's why I bought one but it was sponsored by the manufacturer so it stands to reason. I have seen other videos where they cannot move their necks correctly, it's not as flexible as they make it out to be. The chicken absolutely hates it, they walk around backwards trying to get out of it, they claw at it until their heads are raw. It's miserable for them and it was horrifying to watch for me. If you cannot tolerate a rooster crowing or there are laws against it, don't have one. It's not worth it.
    I apologize for my rant but as I said at the beginning, this is a serious hot button for me.

19. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

I understand, it was difficult when a chick I had for two days died, and it must be so much worse with a fully grown bird dying of something like that. There are laws where I live, thankfully I know someone who can take a rooster if I end up with one. I'll have to see in a few weeks I suppose.

Sylie likes this.
  20. robin416

Sometimes stuff with these guys isn't easy. I think the thing to keep in mind, investigate anything you're not familiar with. There's a bunch of information out there that is detrimental to the birds but you'd never know it by the glowing comments made.