2 less polecats in Rains Co.

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by cogburn, Sep 11, 2012.

1. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Floyd my Great Pyrenees pup, went to barkin last night and got on the front porch makin a racket about 11.00 last night, barkin and growling. So I grabbed a pistol and spotlight, when I opened the door, he took off after 2 skunks in the back near the chickens. He's just a pup, but knew enough to stay away when their tails went up, he would circle and only bark face to face with them. I slipped my shoes on and traded pistol for rifle.... And went out the back door. Shot one from the back door steps, the other was trying to get back to the woods but Floyd turned him and I got another head shot. 2 shots 2 kills.. And nobody got sprayed and all chicken are safe. He's gonna be a good dog, already is.... Anyhow, I thought id share that with y'all.
    Cogburn

Attached Files:

2. camel934

camel934 New Member

Great work! Wonderful Pup! Congratulations!!!

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Congrats on the pup and the kill ...

But on a side note ... the animal should be shot through the heart and notin the head.

The whole rabies thing. ;)

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

In rabies: these animals were not acting sick they were normally predating. Head shot was very humane in this case. Best possible scenario. There is no rabies concern as neither dog nor human was bitten. Also only very small part of the brain is needed for testing. In all likelyhood they would still be able to test if needed. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. rob

rob New Member

im glad we havent got rabies here, pity we are not alowed guns either ;)

6. oakwood

oakwood New Member

7. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I've decapitated and ship/tested thousands of skunks heads in 20 years (as well as bats, coyotes, foxes, & coons) the 5 high risk rabies animals here in Texas as an animal control officer, then supervisor, then wildlife removal/rehabber, then I ran an animal shelter for the past 9 years, until disabled 3 years ago. I know plenty regarding the process. I had no suspicion nor reason to do it any other way, no "casual" contact with human and not even close contact with Floyd....

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yup! I agree. And you do know what you are doing.

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Smart boy you have! Way to go Floyd!!! :D

10. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Thank ya 7Chicks.. He's super smart.. Gonna be a good un.. For sure...

11. kejmack

kejmack New Member

Good boy, Floyd. Good shooting, Cogburn!

12. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I guess you could say "around our neck of the woods" ... We look at rabies in a different light. The "Rather Safe than sorry"...

I read the post as it was dark, 11 at night. So kind of hard to check for what is normal for that animal . (Well, for me anyway.) As for the head being more humane than a heart shot, What can I say it is just not done in this area. Why, because of rabies ... We look at it as prevention.

Rabies is spread by infected saliva that enters the body through a bite or broken skin... So just because no one was bitten there is no concern ... again we see things on a different level. (sorry)

Rabies is a common disease in our area, so we look at it with care. Then again this is JMO ... ;)

On a side note:
    In the United States, human fatalities associated with rabies occur in people who fail to seek medical assistance, usually because they were unaware of their exposure.

Just a thought.

13. phishfood

phishfood New Member

That is one fine looking dog. Makes me miss my dog even more.

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Thanks Phishfood ! He's 15 weeks old almost 16.. He's a cool pup.

15. phishfood

phishfood New Member

How big does that breed normally get?

16. cogburn

cogburn New Member

They get huge !! Males, 125+lbs... Gettin him neutered and pour the feed to him.. He'll pass that I bet !

17. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Attached Files:

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

How many toes, Cog?

19. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Floyd is double dewclawed....

20. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Or we're you meanin me? I've got 5 on left and 3 on right foot, grandad raised alligator snappin turtles when I was a kid, flip flops and turtles don't mix..