Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis is the second time these two girls get themselves in one nest. We have plenty for them but they always end up together! Is this rare? Will the eggs have less chances of hatching? How do I get them used to different tests?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Mine share quite often. They never want the empty nest. :p I've had as many as 3 trying to pile into one. Never mind there were 2 other empty nests sitting right there! Goofballs they are. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7chicks said:
Mine share quite often. They never want the empty nest. :p I've had as many as 3 trying to pile into one. Never mind there were 2 other empty nests sitting right there! Goofballs they are. :D
The only issue Is that they HATE each other. They seem to sit quite peacefully in the nest but when they come out it sounds like cats fighting! How would the chicks tell who is their mom???

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
<<====== My Avatar

2 bantams that shared the responsibility of hatching a clutch of 22 eggs. When they hatched the moms were always together keeping close watch on the peeps and the peeps wouldn't let moms out of their sight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My hens all share a nest. I have one LARGE nesting box and they all make a nest in one corner and nest together. I'd say 3/4 of the nesting box isn't even being used most of the time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
1- why would the chicks even NEED to know which was bio mom and what diff would it make. A friend of mine has a flock (she started w/ some she raised, then someone gave her another small flock, and they are now merged). Pretty much no broody hens, and most of them lay in the same nest. They are free range, so no excuses. It's just what they want to do. My chicks are months away from becoming layers (11 wks old).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts