Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
i have hatched 4 chicks (1st timer!) which were from mixed eggs. possible breeds were, light sussex, marans, jersey giant, vorwek, auracana, buff Orpington, rhode Island red, cream legbar.
The eggs were dark brown, light brown and x2 white.
i have 2 black chicks, one silver, and one mixed.
Im unsure of the breed they will be can you tell this early?

many thanks

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Of course they are. That's how people get so hooked on them. Then their adult personalities can be irresistible and you end up with chicken math.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Ok, I've got a few questions here.. Are the eggs in the picture the ones that hatched? Where are the eggs from? What chicks hatched from which eggs? The black one in the last 2 pictures looks like mine that I got from my feed store, which is a black star so black star for that one and not sure about the rest the only one I'd make another guess on would be the 3rd and 4th pic on and I'd say Lavender orphington/Australorp cross.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I've got a few questions here.. Are the eggs in the picture the ones that hatched? Where are the eggs from? What chicks hatched from which eggs? The black one in the last 2 pictures looks like mine that I got from my feed store, which is a black star so black star for that one and not sure about the rest the only one I'd make another guess on would be the 3rd and 4th pic on and I'd say Lavender orphington/Australorp cross.
Hi there,
thanks for your reply.
i purchased my eggs from ebay. yes they hatched from the eggs in the picture. one black chick came from the white egg and the other black chick came from the light brown egg. unsure of the other 2 as hatched during the night.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Hi there,
thanks for your reply.
i purchased my eggs from ebay. yes they hatched from the eggs in the picture. one black chick came from the white egg and the other black chick came from the light brown egg. unsure of the other 2 as hatched during the night.
Ok, thank you! Didn't say what breed they were before you just bought them and started hatching?

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Ok, are the chicks in the first 2 pics the same bird or 2 different chicks?

·
Registered
I have 3 chickens named chestnut, buttercup and sunfish!
1,865 Posts
Hi there,
i have hatched 4 chicks (1st timer!) which were from mixed eggs. possible breeds were, light sussex, marans, jersey giant, vorwek, auracana, buff Orpington, rhode Island red, cream legbar.
The eggs were dark brown, light brown and x2 white.
i have 2 black chicks, one silver, and one mixed.
Im unsure of the breed they will be can you tell this early?

many thanks View attachment 41244 View attachment 41245 View attachment 41246 View attachment 41247 View attachment 41248 View attachment 41249 View attachment 41250
Aww super duper cute chickies

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
That first pic is too cute with its little itty bitty top knot. The second might be a little boy but it's still really early.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
So, is that two novices making guesses on being a boy? I'm not very good at sexing hard feathered birds. I forget that some breeds will develop more comb earlier than other breeds.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, is that two novices making guesses on being a boy? I'm not very good at sexing hard feathered birds. I forget that some breeds will develop more comb earlier than other breeds.
so here thay all are at 13 weeks.....think i have 3 boys lol

Attachments

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
1st pictured one is a pullet. 2nd pictured one is a Cockerel. 3rd picture one is a pullet 4th pictured is a Cockerel. So basically it went in order, pullet, Cockerel, pullet, Cockerel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts