Virginia 2 Australorp Roos Free

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by Overmountain1, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

These two have been hand raised together (with the bantam friends pictured) and, at least so far, are still not overly rough with each other as well as with the other chickens. They will allow for necessary handling and usually enjoy the lovings (as long as you snag them fast enough of course!) In fact they love to football-chicken around with my son! Especially Checkers. Ha! I believe they are 9? Weeks old- 10 at most- so still good and young too. We call them Checkers and Penn, but hey, that’s up to you.
    Ideally they’d go someplace as breeders or flock protectors. I believe they have the potential to be a 1 & 2 rooster together with minimal probs, but I’m no expert. I’m sure we have some more shots around if you want more and if not it’s no trouble to go take some more. Any more ?s just ask! Thanks for looking!

As for the why- we already have one giant roo (bigger than these two even) who is king, and also a bantam roo. And only 4 hens total to go around so no way that can work for us- or our neighbors! The people who first said ‘if we DID’ that they would take them but have decided they do not have room for more last minute- leaving us clueless on literally the day we planned to take them up there... It’s ok (briefly) just yet, but we do need to rehome. Thanks again!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Dang I wish I could take one :( I would love to have a rooster that might just put my spunky hens in their places and keep the chicken hawks away. I can't have roo's though

Thomas Lippert likes this.

3. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

Awww- I am grateful we live in the county here vs the town, so I can keep as many as I want.... or have to! Lol. I’m grateful the house next door is between owners too.
    I wish you could too! But hey spread the good word, and maybe there will be someone like you who needs a good companion protector for their hens. Thanks though- and I think it’s pretty unfair to most roosters too- cause let’s be honest, they don’t all crow all day every day. I would say most do not....?
    So noise ordinances should define a ‘problem rooster’ somehow a little better than not at all whatsoever! I think. Or if you can secure the ‘ok’ of all your immediate neighbors as agreed between you, etc. something. Ah, well.
    Someone will need them.

Sylie and Thomas Lippert like this.
  4. Sylie

I totally agree, I think a generalized ban on roosters is stupid, they are more than just noise makers, they protect the flock, help the girls find the good food etc. We all know the benefits of roosters, it's just dumb.

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's unfortunate you don't have enough females to sell the boys as a pair. That usually works fairly well.

6. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

We picked up 2 ‘lorps, and both turned out to be Roos. It’s a shame, we were so looking forward to the eggs from hens. Oh well. Perhaps next year!

7. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

I work at a small ownership business who sell produce and garden/farm supplies and decor. I love it there BUT- best news I’ve heard- my boss agreed to post them up at the store for me, AND she was kind enough to share them on her own Facebook page and the store’s as well. She is such a blessing! Both boys are getting rowdy, they need to go be rowdy with their new crew! Ah! Our friends really left us hanging.... ah, well, they’re STILL AVAILABLE lol. They rly are sweet boys too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Sylie likes this.
  8. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

Hooray! We rehomed them to the same guy, so they got to stay together but not together with their own flocks beside each other. It’s about as good as I could have asked for. But this makes it even better- really nice guy, too- we made an agreement he will give us an Australorp pullet from each of our Roos next spring! Yaaay! My son is thrilled and frankly, that’s a best case scenario for us overall!
    They have about a dozen pullets/hens apiece, I think they’ll be living a good life. Annnnd- he’s going to send pics occasionally. Awesome. Just had to share and let you know- they’re gone! I wish all of you similar luck in rehoming!

My big boy has calmed so much, while little Chip is the ‘big rooster in charge’ left in that group. Well. Pair. And now he’s way too big for his britches! Lol- we couldn’t even touch him last night he was so puffed up and being a turd. Too many hormones.... a hand is in here- attack attack! He does that, then he looks up at us (sometimes) and he’s like “oh hey! I know you! Hi!” Derpy roo.

Sylie likes this.
  9. robin416

How lucky was that, being able to rehome two to the same people. It can be so hard to rehome males unless they're in pairs so you really did get lucky.

If he's doing that now, he'll probably keep doing it from now on so be ready. No shorts wearing around him and no really little people. While he can't really hurt adults he can hurt the little ones.

10. Sylie

That's awesome!

Overmountain1 likes this.
  11. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

It was incredibly lucky, even with the fact we live fairly rurally! And to find the nice guy that we did too- I do realize how fortunate that was. They almost went to two people, but he wanted both anyway, so it just worked. We still miss those silly boys’ tho. They were certainly entertaining.

Thanks for the heads up and foresight... the youngest kid we have now is 11 (so they’re nearly my height! ) and it’s easy to forget how much they’ve grown etc- and how different smaller people can look to the animals sometimes. Our large rooster takes great offense daily at my husbands right Croc. We haven’t figured that one out- but almost always the right foot. He mostly just pecks the toe but for some reason that just makes him more determined/mad sometimes. Weirdos. The lot of them....

*edit: And it is the shoe: he stays with it and not the hubbs, who he does generally like, when he kicks it off.

12. robin416

Thanks for the first thing in the morning giggle. That's a good way to start my day.

Chances are Dink will do sneak attacks, he'll wait for someone to turn their back and start to walk away. You might even catch him stalking someone.