Chicken Forum banner

1st day in the pond!

Ducks 
2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  7chicks 
#1 ·
My duckies have finally graduated into the pond! Had to coax (herd/prode) them into the water, but after that they had a grand time. :)

Mammal Organism Beak Twig Grass

Water Plant Natural landscape Grass Fluvial landforms of streams

Bird Water Beak Plant Grass

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Adorable. I have been begging my husband to get a pond from lowes. Would something like that be big enough to support 2 ducks?
I would say sure, but only for a short period. I had a 9 foot by 14 foot koi pond, about 32 inches deep. We had a khaki cambell and a rouen duck. At about 6 weeks or so, we introduced the ducks to the pond. They loved it and were very cute to watch.
Fast forward about 2 months. All my young koi and goldfish have become duck dinner, all of my pond plants have been destroyed, and trust me, duck can produce massive amounts of poop. My dual filters could no longer even come close to keeping the water clean.

If you just want some water for the ducks to play in, get a kiddie plastic wading pool, that way you can frequently dump it and refill it.

#4 ·
I would say sure, but only for a short period. I had a 9 foot by 14 foot koi pond, about 32 inches deep. We had a khaki cambell and a rouen duck. At about 6 weeks or so, we introduced the ducks to the pond. They loved it and were very cute to watch.
Fast forward about 2 months. All my young koi and goldfish have become duck dinner, all of my pond plants have been destroyed, and trust me, duck can produce massive amounts of poop. My dual filters could no longer even come close to keeping the water clean.

If you just want some water for the ducks to play in, get a kiddie plastic wading pool, that way you can frequently dump it and refill it.
Everyone says kiddie pools are the way to go... compact and easy to clean

#6 ·
They would probably be happy with whatever swimming water you gave them. I'm imagining the pond from Lowe's as being large and heavy and not easy to dump and clean, but maybe not (not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing as you are). I had a smaller 10 gallon water tub that was in their pen for them to bathe in and had to dump and clean it everyday. I would think with 2 ducks and being bigger you could do it less often, but it would still get nasty quickly. I think I would go with a kiddie pool if I didn't have a pond. Whatever you choose, be prepared for a mess. I knew they would make a mess, but didn't realize the full extent of it until we got into it. Waaaayyyy worse the chickens. :)

#8 ·
I have a 60 inch round kiddie pool and a 45 inch kiddie pool. The little pool of course easier to change the water in and they use that one just as much as the bigger pool. I have 2 Pekin ducks. Pretty and fresh as the water is, even in the big pool looks like week old muck in a day. Ducks are extremely dirty birds to have. Very cute and rather entertaining but a LOT more work than my 9 chickens combined!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.