Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi

For those that have seen my threads on these 6 wee chicks, here they are at 10 weeks old and quite a few changes since my last thread, though mainly only the ones I know are boys are the ones that have changed with some differences in feather colours and visual differences on the head and neck.

I guess my questions are:
Is 4 now a confirmed cockerel?
Are 1 and 3 still looking like pullets?
Is Eggbet a pullet or is there a chance it's a very under developed male (you will see its smaller than the others - had a very rough start)

Appreciate your thoughts thanks!
Bird Plant Plant community Ecoregion Phasianidae
Plant Street light Sky Wood Twig
Plant Branch Twig Wood Tree
Bird Beak Plant Twig Tree
Bird Phasianidae Plant Beak Galliformes
Bird Beak Feather Grass Galliformes
Terrestrial animal Phasianidae Galliformes Soil Tail
Bird Sunlight Grass Tints and shades Phasianidae
Water Organism Grass Pattern Soil

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
It might be looking better and better for Eggbert to be a girl. Even with the rough start I would expect more comb at this point.

4? Hmm, my first reaction was boy. @fuzzies or @imnukensc might have a better idea.
Yes I'm starting to agree with #4

And im also starting to wonder if Eggbet is a girl myself (or Eggbert if a boy!), at 3 weeks old these barred chicks had bigger combs than Eggbet has now.....
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Beak

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, @koroo. That's not how you tell. Ken posted the information for you.

Some breeds of chickens carry their tails lower normally. Most have upright tails, male and female.
I have seen the ones I know are boys with both upright and dropped tails so I don't think it's a key identifier either.

I expect to see hackle and saddle feathers on the 3 boys in the next few weeks, but the only one I'm unsure of is Eggbet really and I think it may take a while (and for the other boys to have gone) before I know for sure.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What breed is Dad? Just so you know I'm not the best when it comes to breeds. He's one stunning guy no matter his breed.

As long as junior behaves himself you might catch more pics like that one.
Dad (Scott) is a mixed breed. He had a leghorn mum and a Cream Crested Legbar dad.

There's no trouble at all with Scott and the male chicks at the moment. I'll be keeping a close eye on them and will intervene before it gets to any fighting.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He got the best of both breeds. If that could keep happening you could have a new breed that is absolutely stunning.
He's a great cockerel in temperament too!

His sibling lays white eggs, as does my two leghorns, one of which is his mum, so as not to interbreed I purposely took away white eggs from under the broody and only let her hatch brown eggs.

It's a real interesting mix in these 6 chicks that he's fathered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts