Working Overtime?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by 7chicks, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Just came in from checking in on my girls one last time for the night. Here's Abbie (RIR 2 1/2 yrs old) in the nest box to work on an egg ... at 10 p.m.! Thought she was acting a bit weird a couple hours ago when I peeked in on them. Guess now I know why. I'm assuming this is because of the shorter days so her "time clock" is a bit off? :confused:

2. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

Do you have a light on in the coop? I didnt think they would lay at night.I do have 1 hen that has always layed when i open up coop in morning she pretty much dumps it under perch and thats it job done.All the others take turns through the day usually around 10-11am only ever using one of the 2 nestboxes.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I do. Not so much lately past 7 p.m. because I took in 2 newbie's this month. I've been keeping the brighter light off so just a dim colored light is on to ward off the chill. (Its been unseasonably cold/wet here like late Nov. weather.) Helps the newbies settle down for the night with the older crabbies. ;) Figured out Abbie (RIR) has been the one leaving me all the shell-less eggs for about a week. Saturday I noticed when she walked by her bottom looked mucky - like when they are babies and get pasty butt. Hubby had a the choice of either hold Abbie or clean her butt. Ya, he left me with the butt. That's okay, I do a better job than he'd have anyway. :p Took some really soft baby wipes and after I got all the muck cleaned, her vent was still pushing. There was the shell coming out like a deflated balloon. I pulled the rest of it out. She seems to be doing better today. We do give them scraps besides their daily layer feed with oyster shell. They just don't particularily like that oyster shell. Lilah throws it out of her dish or lets it pile up in a corner. No shell-less eggs since Saturday.

4. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

For what its worth...We live in N.Y. so the weather has been getting colder and we have lost about 5-6 hours of daylight. I have a 100 watt light that is set on a timer that turns on at 4:00AM and stays on until 8:00AM. Thats when I let my girls out for the day. They are all still laying so guess I'm doing something right??? I think I will leave the light on all day until I lock them up for the night when the weather starts getting colder. That might encourage them to stay in their coop when the weather gets really bad. As for the nights after I shut and lock the door, I think from 14 chickens they will get enough body heat from roosting snuggled together...:rolleyes: Have I given this too much thought? LOL Jen

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm hoping the same thing. I hope they keep each other warm. Snuggily.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have on one of those black light bulbs on right now for night. Its 75 watts. A 25 watt comes on around 6 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. With this damp weather, I've been leaving the 25 watt on just to take the dampness out. I think Abbie got a little egg bound or something. Seems to be doing better. When we start up the woodboiler for the winter, then they'll get their main heat source from that. Then I just turn on the led xmas lights (blue for night) and use the colored light bulbs if its going to be really cold. We have a wireless thermometer for their coop so we can keep tabs on the temp for them. :eek:

Unfortunately my Macie that has been stuffy & sneezing for over a month now, is still not any better. Did the duramycin for 10 days with no improvement in the end. Now its been at least 2 weeks with the VetRx and no improvement. I do put raw cider vinegar in their water. Tried the garlic and they hated it. I just don't know what to do anymore.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You could try a different antibiotic or something alternative. Homeopathic if you want.

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'll try anything to get her better.

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'll look up some remedies when I get home.

10. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Junior Member

Poopy butt

Look at the root of the feather shaft - you could have lice, worms, the begining of coccidiosis or 'bad water problem' ( watch this video [ame]http://youtu.be/alfER_l9F1Q[/ame] )

Having a poopy butt can cause serious problems if it should completely block their vent. The poop backs up into their digestive system and cause infections and even death.

11. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Junior Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfER_l9F1Q"]Pasty Vent in Hens & Chickens | Farm Raised With P. Allen Smith - YouTube[/ame] - - hhhmmm the video link didn't work - trying again

12. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks for the info MuddyHillFarm. :) Her bum has been looking good since I got it washed off and I also trimmed off the mucky feathers. The wash wipes (for humans) I used on her actually have a skin barrier ointment in them that helps prevent skin breakdown and sooth skin irritation on the bum. I know they work good on my patients so they should be good for my Abbie. :D I did check her feather shaft, all looked okay. I've been really inspecting all of them after my Ameraucana I had this summer got sick and in the end was polluted with mites. She had been separated from the others while she was sick but I was still super worried about the others. (She passed 9/5.) Since, they all get regular complete checks. They're never very happy with me for it but too bad. Mama knows best. ;)