Ducks Winter eggs

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by JerseyDuck, Dec 7, 2012.

1. JerseyDuck

JerseyDuck New Member

I live in zone 6 where temps drop below freezing in the late fall and winter. Some below 0 Fahrenheit weeks are common too. I have a broody duck sitting on her clutch next to the house. She picked an inconspicuous location in a corner but its still not protected from the elements. I tried moving the nest to the cedar doghouse that the ducks where originally raised in but she refused to sit on them in there so I returned them to her nest. Instead of touching the eggs again my son and I built "quack shack 2" from plywood around her nest. It's equipped with a 30 watt heat lamp, mini water feeder and so far she's happy in there. My question, being concerned with the low temps, should I insulate the little 2'x3' with some straw or put some kind of flap over the entrance to keep the heat in better? I just remember buying the ducklings in the hot weather of August and they where in a shed running around under a big heat lamp?! Do they need all that heat or will mama duck take care of all that?

Attached Files:

2. JerseyDuck

JerseyDuck New Member

3. JerseyDuck

JerseyDuck New Member

That's ok no need to reply they all died... =\

4. rob

rob New Member

sorry to hear that. im afraid i know nothing about ducks.

5. patlet

patlet New Member

All of them? Even Momma? Ducks are different from chickens in two major ways... One they are much oilier and two they like the wet. Did the ducklings try to hatch or did they die in the egg? My ducks used to hatch in the very early spring, when the ground was still frozen. They'd hatch out in the rain and mud. I'd fret for them but mom would shoo me away. They thrived. The were Rouens and Muscovies (a very very tough duck breed). Our resident wild mallards come here as so as the ice opens. I've seen them nesting in the snow, barely above waterline. They are exceptional at camouflage and lay very low over their eggs. The eggs are almost greasy to the touch; I've dropped my share. Anyway, man I am long wind lately, :sorry:maybe ducks need this kind of environment to hatch successfully. :phew:

6. JerseyDuck

JerseyDuck New Member

No just three eggs but she started with 22! The momma just stopped being broody and left the remaining 3 eggs to the elements. I have crested khaki/ runner ducks and I just think because she started with so many and being as cold as it was, it got a bit too much for her to handle. She lost weight and also her crest from stress. I was candling and removing bad eggs when she wasn't sitting on them, and that was not often me tell ya. She was a good mamma. But I read that we should remove the rotten smelly eggs so they wouldn't break and contaminate the nesting area. I don't know what happened though because I only removed 5 eggs and everyday there would be less eggs and I'd find an egg here or there broken on the yard. At first glance I though it may have been a coon or possum but I'm not to sure about that. I do have a box/lab that tends to the property pretty well and the ducks are a great alarm system at night. If I hear them I just let out the dog and that's that but I didn't hear them quacking up a storm except this one night and I checked the eggs and they where all there. So it was like 17 eggs that dwindled down to slim pickings throughout the 20 something days we had them. When she finally left the remaining few to the cold I candled them to find only one baby duck inside... Sad but what could I have done. Next time I'm not getting involved at all even if she makes a nest on the road ! Lol it's all hers.