Winemaking...

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Fabiola, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Fabiola

Fabiola Junior Member

Anyone into winemaking?

2. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Oh yeah!!!! My friend and I just started a pumpkin wine tonight!!

3. rob

rob New Member

my mate makes wine. i just drink what he makes lol ;)

4. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

LOL!!! That's the best part! We are working on perfecting making it and if all goes well, we may start a business. It's a lot if fun!!

5. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I live in a dry county. Nonetheless, I do know that there is a winemaking supply store in the county to the north of us. I've always wanted to try it, just haven't gotten around to it.

6. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

A dry county!!!???!!! That's so sad! Reminds of a Bon Jovi song.

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Yep, we live in what's considered the buckle of the bible belt. :rolleyes:

8. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Wow I couldn't imagine! Our church actually serves wine for communion. Don't they know that Jesus turned water into wine?? I think I'd move!!

9. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Oh I'd love to pick this farm up and move it to someplace where people actually have a clue. However, this farm has been in my husband's family since Civil War times and he's not going anywhere, so neither am I.
    Funny (or bizarre, depending on your outlook) is that there is an organization in town called Stay Dry LLC; a group that has fought for over 20 years to keep the county dry. This same group of well-to-do people are almost all members of the local country club; the only place you CAN legally buy alcohol in the county.
    I can't drink due to medications I have to take, but I do dislike having someone else's sense of morality forced on me.

*Off my soapbox now*

10. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

I don't mind the soap box. I can't stand others telling people what they can and can't do. It just amazes me that there are still places out there like that.
    It awesome that the land has been in the family that long!! What a piece of history!!

11. mistinichole

mistinichole New Member

My hubby and I have Grape,Peach-Mango,Strawberry,and White Grape.. Pretty good stuff and neat to watch how it develops!!! We even have made some homemade Rootbeer. Really good stuff. Next thing we are going to try is Champagne and Beer..:D -Misti- Here is a couple of photo's of our grape wine cooking away!! lol....

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

I 'fiddle' with making mead (honey wine) and hard cider. And beer and gruit (a 'beer' with herbs other than hops).

When our fruit trees start producing more than we can eat (including canning and dehydrating), then I'll fiddle with fruit wines. :cool:

13. Fabiola

Fabiola Junior Member

I am thinking the same, I want to get a license to sell wine...

14. Fabiola

Fabiola Junior Member

Looks very good..

15. mistinichole

mistinichole New Member

I hear that the mead is hard to do and cider!!! Now that sounds really good.. Our apple tree's have not been doing very well the past 2 years .. we have red and yellow apples.. And we have peach tree's too but they have only produced 1 time..Bummer... But I planted some grapes this year so hope come spring they start growing!!! I can't wait..O.k. now on your beer instead of hops using herbs??? Does it give it a better taste??? I really don't like beer but my father-in-law loves it!!! Cool I hope the best for you on getting a business going... That would be so awsome!!!-Misti- Bottom's Up!!:D

16. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Even in a dry county, you are allowed to make wine, just not to purchase or sell it. As long as you don't distill it, it is legal to make. :D

Hubbo makes wine and used to make his own beer. He makes Muscadine, Scuppernog, Peach, Black Cherry (YUMMO), and lots from kits. I bought him a home brew kit for Christmas about 15 years ago, and it has turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving!!!:p:p:p

17. mistinichole

mistinichole New Member

Sounds like that was the best gift you could of got him!:D We ordered our stuff all off line for pretty cheap and your right it keeps on giving!! lol:cool:

18. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Just about to bottle my first sangiovese. I took some classes at a local winery, really helped take the scary out of making wine for me. Has anyone ever tried Persimmon wine? I have several pounds of puree in the freezer from trees on our farm. These are the small persimmons common to KY.

19. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

No, I have just this year, at 52 years old ( I look 17 :eek:) have ever eaten my first persimmion! The recipe that hubbo uses is one gallon of fruit and 5 gallons of water, and so many pounds of sugar, and so forth. If you want me to, I can get the recipe from him and post it for you. PM me to remind me if you want it.

20. mistinichole

mistinichole New Member

I have never heard of making wine wine that way! What is it and how is it done??? Could you tell me abit about it and what's it taste like??? Learn something new every day!!! lol:D