Will a Raccoon kill a Chicken?

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by doug, Jul 5, 2012.

1. doug

doug New Member

The #1 critter around here are raccoons. Will they kill a chicken?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes, a raccoon can and will try to kill a chicken ...

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock New Member

they are really bad, they'll bend wire, dig holes and what they are famous for is reaching through the wire and pulling heads off, i've lost a bunch of chickens to raccoons

4. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I have lost a few chickens to racoons too.

5. Landin_Flat

Landin_Flat New Member

My father in law lost 11 hens to a raccoon in one night! It even managed to drag a couple of the smaller ones over the fence.

6. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I agree with the rest, yes a racoon will kill a chicken.

7. anderson8505

anderson8505 New Member

Worst natural predator to the backyard chicken is the racoon! Then, the dog. Racoons can chew through "chicken wire" so if that is what you have, upgrade to hardware cloth, it's the wire with the little squares. You can nail/staple it right over your chicken wire. They'll also dig under coops so bury wire around the bottom of your coop if applicable to your style coop.

8. Jason

Jason New Member

Raccoons are really dangerous to chickens because they're so smart. All the other posts are right on the money.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We have had more problems with opossum than anything ... And for some reason the bob whites, we had brought out more than a few fox.

10. Run1251

Run1251 New Member

We lost eight in one night to a raccoon. Killed just for fun. Never ate any of them. Caught him the next night in a trap when he returned.

11. power

power New Member

There are not many predators that will turn down a chicken dinner.

12. chixellie

chixellie New Member

Oh, yeah- Everyone is right! Raccoons will gladly kill everything you got! However, easy to prevent it. 1-COVER THE WIRE whwere the roost poles are attached, if needed. If the chickens sleep up against the wire, raccoons will reach in and pull out any part of the chicken that will fit out. (Usually the head). You can use painted plywood or corrugated metal panels. 2- Don't use chicken wire! It is weak and useless against raccoons and stray dogs. If you already have it, overlay with good strong wire. 3- Make sure they can't dig in.4- Latch your door securely. They will try to open latches with their little, chicken-thieven' hands!

13. havasu

havasu Administrator Staff Member

Raccoons killed every chicken I had in my coop in just one night. Worse yet, it was my 7 year old daughter who discovered the bloody carnage the next morning. That ended my chicken raising era for good.