Why no eggs?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lynnephi, Oct 27, 2012.

1. lynnephi

lynnephi New Member

I have 8 chickens who are my little princesses. I had them since chicks on May 1st. Beautiful coop, well fed, let out to free reign most days ---- but still no eggs! When should I expect some? Is this unusual? Any suggestions to speed up the process :). .

Thanks!

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

What breed(s) are they? That has something to do with it. Also, chickens are very much individuals and they don't all start at once.
    You say they are free ranging part of the day. Have you checked for hidden nests in places they frequent? Making their own nests outside the coop can be a problem with new layers.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a forum newbie myself. :)

3. rob

rob New Member

nature will take its course and it will happen when your chickens are ready. i had to wait 28 weeks for my first, and im still waiting at 29 wks for the others to lay. n:)

4. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Birdslave is right. Check for hidden nests. Under chairs or behind things. Mine love to lay eggs under my scrape pile.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Easter Egger is almost 6 months old now. No eggs yet but she's been "practicing" in the evenings after all the bullies have gone to bed for the night. Usually between 5 1/2 - 6 months old my other girls started laying. Never have gotten an egg out of my sebright. Not any I found anyway. She's 1 1/2 yrs. old.

6. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

For one they are now 6mths old and the time they should start to lay, but this time of year the days are getting shorter and with the less light there is they probably will not start laying till January when the light starts getting longer usually about the second week of January. That is just the way it goes when they are hatched from May and later in the year. Nature will take its course and they will start to lay when they have more light in the day.

7. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

To speed up the process put a light in their pen where they sleep and have it come on early in the morning so they get 4-6 xtra hours of light. So if it gets light at 7 in the morning set the timer 3AM for 4 xtra hours of light 2AM for 5 xtra hours of light and so on. But I prefer to give my hens the rest they need over the darker days of Winter.

8. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

I had blue 55 gall drums at one time for mine to lay in with straw all was good till i stopped using them and had some old rusted metal ones in my side yards wild birds made nest in... my rir stopped laying for a few days and happen to find her up in one oneday laying eggs in a birds nest like it was her own... i just let her do it.. i put golf balls in my new nest and she finally figured it out..

9. lynnephi

lynnephi New Member

They did it!!!! My girls are finally laying. :))))
    And even blue !

Attached Files:

10. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Congrats!...

11. lynnephi

lynnephi New Member

Thank you. :)
    It's just so wonderful!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Congrats! Great feeling that!