Why do chickens cackle when they lay an egg?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by bevie55, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bevie55

bevie55 Bevie

I would like some logical explanations for why hens cackle when they lay an egg. Some imaginary answers would be good too.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I can imagine they are probubly either 1) in pain from trying to push that huge thing out or 2) proud they pushed that huge thing out lol .

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Not being a woman I have no first hand experience but if I understand the process, pushing out a young one can be rather painful. Maybe that's a chickens way of crying out in pain. :)

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have no clue as to way ... lol

5. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Misery loves company. Since she's in misery she's gonna make sure everyone else is too! lol

6. tdepointe

tdepointe New Member

I have always told the kids it was a victory dance, when they strut around and cackle after they lay an egg.

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Mine must be goofy! Most of them cackle with no egg in sight and not a single hen in the nest box either.

8. viktimh

viktimh New Member

I agree with 7chicks. Mine seem to when they can't find the others or think one of the others is laying my thought was cheering/encouraging them on. Idk I'm new to this. ;)

9. Fl_Silkie_mommie

Fl_Silkie_mommie Junior Member

I've heard my cluck.. No cackles yet. I guess they do it for the egg.

10. Roseann

Roseann Junior Member

Funny because my free ranging hens just recently started to lay their eggs on my backporch chairs. So now I can actually hear them right after they lay their eggs. My kids (twins aged 19) asked me just yesterday why do they cluck so loud after they lay an egg and I said, "because their so proud and want to yell it from the rooftops!"
    If their is a scientific reason I would love to know it but if it is because their in pain from "laboring" an egg, well, then, I will just go with the proud story! hahaha

11. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

After watching the final few moments of the egg-laying process, I vote either "I am so glad THAT thing is out of me" or " Check this out, I made breakfast" They sloooowly stand up, and out comes the egg.

12. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I've always thought it's a "Look what I can do!!!"

However, the roosters do it all the time too, and then they all start doing it, and then you yell out the window for them to SHUT UP!! Because when all 30 of them get going it can get pretty noisy.

Although, the day after my first rooster died all 9 of the girls gathered into a tight little circle in the middle of the day in front of my front door and had themselves a collective cackle. It went on for over 10 minutes and then just stood in this little circle. I always thought that they were mourning him.

........chickens............

:confused:

13. bevie55

bevie55 Bevie

I think they were mourning him too. My hens will start laying eggs in about a month. One day they were cackling up a storm. I checked on them. The rooster was inside the coop and they were in the run. Evidently they thought they lost him somewhere.

14. nanacarol

nanacarol New Member

I checked to see if my hens had laid their eggs. Only 1 did the first day. This is the 2nd day. There were no eggs when I checked about 7:30 a.m. Around 9:00 a.m. I had the windows open and heard a different cackling noise. I looked out and could see it wasn't the rooster. All of the hens were coming out of the coop but the last one was doing the cackling. I decided to see if she had laid an egg. I went to look and there was a warm egg in the nest. A little darker than the one yesterday so I'm not sure who laid the first one. Any ideas?

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

They are letting you know they did a good
    Job for you, they want your praise. Just like when the cat kills a frog, rat, snake or bird and leaves it on the porch for you to see they are working for you, pulling their own weight.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

How wonderful! A warm egg and a celebratory cackle! I agree with Cogburn, that our animals want us to know they are on the team.

17. cnsper

cnsper New Member

For the same reason you occasionally grunt.

18. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

first being sserious. I have heard that they are yelling at potential nest threats and to either distract them from the nest with the new egg in it or chase them away with the loud noises to draw the attention of other chickens in the flock to watch out or come help. not sure but thats what I heard.

Then jokingly. ever see the fog horn leg horn cartoon when the skinny hen prissy layed an egg(well I think it was a prank that someone put an egg in her nest) ( haven't seen it many years) and she ran around all excited squaking....."look what I did"....."Look what I did!!!"

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Redmaples, that is so funny. I remember that cartoon well. I haven't thought of it in years though. Your description put a smile on my face. Lol. Looking back now as an adult it's even funnier. Thanks for that.

20. wingman

wingman New Member

I'm goin' with the "proud" story - that's what my chickens do.