Why a small nest box?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by kitarna, Jul 24, 2012.

1. kitarna

kitarna New Member

Hi everyone,

I have 2 lovely miniature wyandottes that we got 3 weeks ago.
    We have made our own A frame coop, which has the house part in the top and a run underneath.

Is there any reason why all coops you can buy seem to have a small nest box stuck on the side (other than ease of egg retrieval). Ours has a rather large section in the house that our girls seem to sleep in.

They haven't started laying yet (anyone know what age they start?) but i'm now worried that we have given them too much space after looking at other coops!

Thanks

2. kitarna

kitarna New Member

The coop is a work in progress!

Attached Files:

3. bevie55

bevie55 Bevie

Mine have a whole dog house that I think they will start laying in. They claimed my border collie's kennel preferring it's stationary 10 foot by 10 foot enclosure over their chicken tractor.

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Normally nesting boxes like the ones you see sticking out the side of coops are only there to have eggs layed in them not for the chickens to sleep in. The floor and roosts are where the chickens would sleep. But if you just have a large area that will serve the purpose of safe place to lay and sleep then you should be fine.

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

12"x12" boxes are all that is needed, also they share nest boxes so you don't need a lot of boxes, I have 4 boxes for 12 full size hens and they only lay in 2 of the 4.

6. kitarna

kitarna New Member

More pics of the coop ..

Attached Files:

7. Captain

Captain Knowledge Gatherer

thats a very nice coop set up. looks small, but sufficient.

8. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

I like small nest boxes because I wan't them to lay eggs in them, but not sleep so they are pooping all over the eggs and filling the boxes up.

9. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

@kitarna Have you walked out at night to see where there actually sleeping? On the roost bars or in the nest box? Do you have any better up close pictures of the roosting bars? Is it open underneath them? Thanks.