Whos dogs get along with chickens?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DansChickens, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I'll start mine is named Oreo and she is fond of chickens just a little curios. She is a border collie lab mix and she is turn 4 in march.

Attached Files:

2. chickflick

chickflick New Member

I have a Keeshond and a pappalion. Both give a hoot about the chickens. Love the chicken poop, but otherwise ignore them.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pretty dog, Dan. I love border collies. They're just so soft, fluffy and scary smart.

4. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I have a black mutt, named Oreo. She keeps the rooster on his toes.I will need to find a better picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. rebelpugs1957

rebelpugs1957 New Member

I have a min pin and a chihuahua. Both protect their little sisters and have never harmed a feather on their heads.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's a surprise with a name like rebel pugs. Pugs are my favorite breed. I also have a pap and a chihuahua and they supervise, but get along with everyone. :)

7. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

I have a lab/great dane cross and a doberman. The chickens haven't been let out of the run yet, but they don't bat an eyelid when the dogs come around. And now the dogs aren't too fussed on the chickens (after the first meeting). Of course, that could all change once the chickens are free ranging. There will be close supervision.

8. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

image-2040388280.jpg

Teddy~lasa- poo

image-3191938152.jpg

Yingling

They both love the chickens, if they go near the road I tell teddy to get his chickens, and he drives them to the upper yard, he will jump into the coop with them, there not very fond of that, lol and the cat will sit on the bench and just watch the chickens walk underneath him, he also lays in the coop roof with his head hanging over the edge looking at them, I'll post them pics tomorrow, it's very cute...if any strays come unto the yard near the chicken coop the cat will run at them in full force attack mode, like as to say there my chickens and f I'm not aloud to eat them neither are you. Lol

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Our dog killed three chickens and a full size guinea. Each time she was disciplined swiftly, three months later she now spends all day around them with incident. I think it takes time introducing a dog to a flock, our dog loves to hunt so it took awhile for her to learn she is not supposed to kill the chickens.

10. rebelpugs1957

rebelpugs1957 New Member

I've had this "Handle" for many, many years now. I used to have and breed pugs, but when my last girl, the apple of my eye, passed away, I knew I couldn't have another one. They too got along great with my chickens.

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Floyd Great Pyrenees pup.. He's really good with them and he turns em around when they get too far from the house.

Attached Files:

12. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Floyd is one handsome pup!

13. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Thanks.. He's really smart, but still a young puppy, he got a whole roll of paper towels (my fault) it looked like it snowed yesterday.. Lol.. He's gonna be a goodun.

14. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

In my house we have 3 dogs a mini jack russel ( actually has an acute case of dwarfism) and she ignores the chickens but is one hell of a rat/mouse killer. The 2nd dog is a great Pyrenees and he was born and raised in the downtown core but has been a farm dig for just 4 months and only had my chickens for about 8 weeks now and he is amazing at guarding them. It amazes me how instincts kick in but the 3rd dog is a pain in the arse. She is a French bull dog crossed with a jack russel and she is a holy terror. She isn't malicious with her intent but she can't resist chasing them the minute you turn your back. I swear she just likes to see them scatter. She is super fast and could quite easily catch them but loses interst quickly. I could really live without that pup, she is my roommates dog lol

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Sorry you have to put up with that. :-(. Rat terriers are generally OCD and French bulls are stubborn. So you have a stubborn OCD! Not fun at all. Watch or watch some Cesar Milan - the dog whisperer with your roomie. He is amazing! Might make a huge difference to educate the owner.

16. kimberley

kimberley New Member

my chihuaha likes to pick on them. she doesnt harm them. shes been pecked too many times. she does like to run thru them when they bunch up but shes smart enough to keep running when she does it. my cats love them and they love the cats. cats spend alot of time with them.

17. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

I have 3 dogs, and only allow 1 to roam with me...the other 2 has to be on a chain..I have one that will run off...and the other that will chase the chickens..grrrrrr... Sabrina is my ol'girl..she is approx. 15 years old..she is a mixed breed and I know she has papillon in her...she walks to the barn with me frequently to check eggs or just to check on all the "kids". The chickens are not afraid of her, she can walk right up to them and they are fine. Now we just saved a turkey and the turkey is not fond of dogs from what I hear...so I cut back on taking her out with me as much the last couple of days...now the other 2...if they get loose...ummm...well maybe meeting Mr. Big Tommy Red will be a hard lesson for them! LOL ... here is a picture of my ol'girl Sabrina....

Attached Files:

18. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

My Satchel Pug loves peeps and has spent countless hours sitting and watching them over the years. However some chickens have treated him poorly and he has been chased across the yard and pecked on his little Pug head more than once. So he now gives all chickens a wide berth.

Jake is my Blue Heeler and he would spend his days herding the roosters back and forth and scattering the hens for his own amusement if I let him. He was brought up as a pup with 48 peeps and after a lot of hair pulling and more patience than I will ever get back he is now a good chicken dog. He takes his cues from the hens and when they raise up the alarms he is out the door, checking the sky and running the perimeter for predators.

It is tough with dogs, chickens are basically wind up feathered dog toys and they just can't help themselves.

19. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

However, Jake is an invaluable help when the roosters start up. I open the door, point and say "Stop the roosters!" and he is off and putting himself inbetween them until they back off and walk away from the fight. If they don't he will chase one away and then turn and wait for the other to back down. If the rooster turns on him, he flattens them with his paw and holds them down.

He's an unbelievably smart dog. Scary smart.

20. jeffreylee

jeffreylee New Member

my 2 chocolate labs were there when they wer chicks rhode islands and australorps 12 of them.. and they play together in same big pen