White vs brown eggs

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by Lady_Alia, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Other than color, is there any difference between a white and a brown egg?

2. Armchair

Armchair New Member

Brown eggs have thicker/stronger shells.Otherwise all of my eggs are the same on the inside.

3. Kozykitten

Kozykitten New Member

Not really. Nutritionally they are the same. The egg shells can depend on individual hens and the amount of calcium they are getting. Some of my brown egg layers lay an egg once in a while that I stick my finger through just picking it up or wiping it off if I don't supplement their calcium. I bake my shells, break them up, and then throw them out to the chickens to supplement.

4. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I was told not to do that cuz it promotes egg eating. (?)

5. Kozykitten

Kozykitten New Member

You shouldn't feed them back to them without cooking the shell first.

6. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Awesome! How long do you cook them as at what temp?

7. Kozykitten

Kozykitten New Member

To start with, when I use an egg, I wash out the inside really well just using water and my finger to get the slime out. Then I set them on the back of my sink to dry. When they are dry I toss them in a coffee can on the back of the stove. When the can gets full, I bake them. I bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes or so. then crush them up. I put some in butter bowl and use a potato masher to break them in really small pieces. I keep adding shells and smashing/grinding at them until I get them all done and they are small enough that the chickens can grab a mouth full without having to break them up themselves at all (basically the size of the oyster shell you can get to feed them). Mine wouldn't eat the oyster shell (well about 2-4 of them would out of about 36 hens) so this works better. I have had several flocks over the years and the only time any of mine eats eggs is if I accidentally drop one when I am collecting eggs LOL. I did have an egg sucking cat though hehe.