Ducks Which is better ducks or chickens?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Rhodeislandredneck, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Rhodeislandredneck

Rhodeislandredneck New Member

So I have had turkeys, a ruen, (spell check) duck and many rhode island reds. I currently have 15 rirs and butchered my turkey and neighbors dog got my duck whom i loved. I am suppose to be getting 18 straight run ruens again, in 2 weeks. Just wondering what makds one more preffered than the other. I know i have no desire for turkeys again, but would like to vet some calls and maybe quail(to release). I have heard ducks are more resrleant to disease, any truth to this? I also plan on maybe consuming some of my ducks,hoping not to offend anyone, but keeping a pet male to breed. Thanks all any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I have chickens, ducks and geese. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. My old hens, nearly 5 years old, will always hold a special place in my heart. They've been my friends, companions and at times, my therapy. These four old gals will live out their lives on this farm; until the day they pass of natural causes. I love my younger chickens too; they are 7 months old and I am developing favorites amongst them, but not one that I am over the moon in love with. My ducks are adorable and compared to chickens, easier to care for. They are more disease resistant.
    Having said that, if someone were to come to me and say you have to give up all your birds keeping only your most absolute favorites, it would have to be my two geese.

3. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Big Chiken;

I'm voting for the chickens. The bigger the breed the better. We have four ducks and they are able, I think, to take better care of themselves. Four is enough. They are fun to watch though, and they eat grubs out of the yard.

I think ducks are more of a mess than chickens for the most part. They are hard to keep water for. They dirty up the chicken's water. I don't think the chickens like them either.

We have a Peacock. He doesn't give us any trouble and is really fun to have around. I'm concerned that he can fly a great distance and sometimes gets out in the road. I'm not sure we have enough room for more than one. Don't really care for Turkeys, though my wife thinks she wants one. Same with a goose.

I like the larger breeds of chickens. Bigger chickens are easier to control since they can't or will not fly as high or as far as the smaller birds. The smaller breeds we have found tended to roost in far-away corners and even hide their eggs. Tending to roost wherever they wanted the smaller breeds also left a mess.:(

We have Buff Orpingtons, Bardrock, and Silver Wyandotte chickens. We also have two brown ducks, male and female. One black male duck, and one white female duck. Beside our Peacock. Over the years we have had many different breeds of both ducks and chickens.

4. qcupoultry

qcupoultry New Member

For eggs, I prefer chickens. I didn't like ducks........until I got muscovys. Now this farm won't ever be without them. They are messy, though. They bathe and do their business in my horse water troughs. For meat...I also prefer the chickens because they are easier for me to process.