When will they lay?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Jeremysbrinkman, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

I Have 2 barred rocks and 2 silver Wyandotte's that are at least 27 weeks old. When can I expect eggs? I have been looking for them for a month now. I got them as day olds on February 17th.

2. cindy

cindy New Member

3. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

Both of my barred rocks laid right around 21.5 weeks. Bonnie and Charlie both had nice red combs for a few weeks prior to them laying. Then in the 2 or so days prior to laying the first egg they were bock bock bocking for hours!

I wonder why yours are taking so long - tell them to step it up and warn them they are a dual purpose breed - haha :)

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

What are you feeding them

5. Jeremysbrinkman

I have been feeding both grain/corn mix And laying crumbles sine the 4th of July.

That's what I mean if they don't start soon they will become a great fried chicken dinner.

6. cindy

cindy New Member

chickens are like any other creature they will lay when its time and probably when you least expect it some lay sooner and some later.
    I would keep feeding them laying mash/crumbles make sure they are not stressed. I purchased some 8 weeks old chicks on June 4th for my birthday
    an easter egger,barred rock,silver laced,gold laced and a buff none has started laying but I do see their maturity starting to show through just be patient and spoil them rotten and soon you will be paid back with beautiful eggs!:p

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Are you sure they are hens? It seems an obvious question, but are you sure?

8. cindy

cindy New Member

I'm sure at this age they would be starting to crow if they were Roo's lol but a picture or two would help:)

9. Jeremysbrinkman

I am sure they are hens even though one barred rock is huge. She looks to be every bit if 10 lbs. I will get pics when I get home from work.

10. Jeremysbrinkman

image-2021010742.jpg

Here are the girls I am talking about.

Attached Files:

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

When they start laying those yellow legs and feet will start to fade, bleach out a bit... So if they start and hide eggs from you (sorry don't know ur set up, free range or cooped) but I've had some hide nests in the woods, and notice their legs changing color, so I went exploring and found a couple of hiding spots where eggs had been (coons got to them before I did). Then I took them to the nest boxes and they laid regularly there. I think they were free ranging and "got the urge" and laid the first egg there and kept going back cuz that's what they thought they were supposed to do ! Hope you get cackle berries soon and hope this may help ya, or someone that reads it !
    Cogburn

12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Pretty birds too, Jeremy !

13. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

They will start to lay around 30 weeks, more or less. The later they lay, the better it is for them. So, it won't be long!

14. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

My started laying about 5 months, a few weeks after the rooster started crowing. Out of 24 hens I am only getting a doz. eggs a day so far.

15. Jeremysbrinkman

Thanks for the info And the props on my girls.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

The one with the white head stands like a Roo. Her posture and how she/he holds her chest suggests Roo to me. Is it okay for you to have a Roo where you live? Just asking.

17. Jeremysbrinkman

Yes it is ok to have a rooster where I live but I am 99% sure she is a girl just no eggs yet.

18. cindy

cindy New Member

looks like a pullet to me as well I have one just like her.
    [​IMG]

19. cindy

cindy New Member

here she is about 5 weeks older
    [​IMG]

20. Jeremysbrinkman

Cindy is she laying eggs yet?