When do you become a "farmer" or "rancher"?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Happeesupermom, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

Just curious.... Say you have an acre of land, outside city limits & you keep chickens & have a small garden. Can you call yourself a farmer or rancher? Oh, and you own a riding mower! LOL

I know NOTHING about raising any animals (I'm still learning about my 11 chickens), or growing anything (I've managed to kill many plants, but am having a little success with a few).

Just curious. LOL :p

2. Happeesupermom

Would it matter if I went out & bought a pair of denim overalls? Hahaha....

3. sandra

sandra New Member

I'm pondering the same thing LOL. I have four chickens, two swans, two geese, five ducks, two cats, a Pygmy goat and a little brown snake. All of these are currently pets. Don't own any denim overalls yet. Oh did the garden thing this past season, heat did the crops in. Most of the time I can grow tomatoes. But not so good with anything else yet. Have four acres of cleared land. I think maybe I'm a hoppy farmer so far. Confused and winging it, definitely! Might consider the overalls.

4. Happeesupermom

LOL. Well, if overalls will make me a better chicken farmer, then I'll get some! :p

I've been thinking about getting a goat, but I don't know anything about them. I'll have to do some research. :)

5. KenimokPoultry

KenimokPoultry New Member

Go get yourself some cowboy boots, you'll be a rancher for sure. LMAO. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Our front lawn is an acre.... Sorry. It's something you're born with you cant just buy a couple chickens and become a farmer. Try again.

6. Happeesupermom

Haha. Hadn't thought about the cowboy boots!

7. sandra

sandra New Member

Goats are really neat. The one I have is so smart and playful. But they do have horns and they do get awnry from time to time.

I wasn't born a farmer, rancher or cowgirl. Born and raised in Pittsburgh and Chicago. But moved to North Carolina and became something I like. This past spring we raised 25 chickens. Only lost three. Eighteen of which became snuggled in my deep freezer. We didn't send them off to be processed, we didn't everything front start to finish ourselves. Four of which I decided to keep around as pets.

We are going to do the same come spring 2013. I decided that if I was going to eat meat, I should acquire it on my own. I am an animal activist and feel very strongly about the animal neglect commercial farms and processing plants do. So I guess being born depends on more of a broad definition of the term. So my birth so to speak was born from strong beliefs. Instead of just ignoring it or doing nothing, am doing something and standing up for what I believe in.

Now the pure enjoyment of the farm life is a fringe benefit to my commitment.

8. Happeesupermom

That's awesome, Sandra! I feel much the same way. And I want to know my family can eat GOOD food, free of hormones & chemicals, too. That's why I'm doing all I can to learn this way of living. :)

9. sandra

sandra New Member

We can learn together!

10. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

When you marry someone with a lot of land, move in and work hard everyday to make the land and animals produce every year. (oh wait I thought this was a farm dating thread? ha ha)

Land, garden, and chickens is good thing!!

I am a wanna be farmer until further notice............:D

11. sandra

sandra New Member

Yeah to all us newbies! Such an exciting thing to go into this wide eyed and inquisitive! Like kids!

12. thewhisperingoaks

thewhisperingoaks Small Farmer

You are what you make yourself out to be and you do seem proud of it. I was born and raised in So. Cal. and now nearing retirement I bought a 35 Acre spead in the Ozarks of North East Arkansas. What a change but I couldn't be happier either. We have chickens, ducks, a few cattle, a couple of friends horses and I really enjoy just being outdoors with the critters and wildlife. I wasn't born a farmer/rancher, but it is the best thing that ever happened to me and my wife. I wouldn't move back to the city for anything.

13. sandra

sandra New Member

Yep, that's my thought to. I have done the rat race in the big city for a long time. President of a company for 20 years. Loved the challenges but once I accomplished what I set out to do, all I am doing now is fighting to stay on top. Everyone wants where I am not, professionally speaking. Now the thought of getting back to my roots and a simpler way of life is a whole new challenge for me.

14. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

When you put farm use tags on a old banged up truck just to run up and down your road and the mountains cuz of various reason lol

15. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

And a big belt buckle !

16. Happeesupermom

LOL @Danschickens! I guess I'll have to add to my list an old truck & a big buckle! :p

17. sandra

sandra New Member

Yep a big shinny belt and don't forget the straw hat! I love my urban farming now. I guess if you have critters you might be a rancher. A chicken rancher! LOL! I'm a chicken rancher!

18. Happeesupermom

And chewing a long piece of straw while holding a pitchfork! Yeah!

19. sandra

sandra New Member

You know what would be really funny, we all should take pictures of ourselves like with straw hat and pitch fork with our chickens, that would be so funny! speaking of funny. I have brought one of my chickens to my office. Her name is Pippy. She is so cute. She is roosting on a chair at the present moment. I will have to take a picturee. My employees have just got a kick out of seeing her and they also think I have lost my mind! Keep in mind I am an interior designer and owner of a large firm! LOL, the chicken in a design firm is far from what any one would ever expect to see!!!! LOL!!!

20. sandra

sandra New Member

Ok more update on the chicken in the office. She is a parrot in disguise as a chicken! All we need now is a parrot stand for her to sit on. We covered a chair in plastic bags for her to perch on, she stayed there for about two hours then she decided she would rather perch on my shoulder! We put her back twice and on the third time I just let her stay there. She went to sleep on my shoulder. Let me tell you, after a bit my shoulder started hurting from her weight! Lol! I could hear her breathing in my ear when she went to sleep.