What is your chickens favorite treat....

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Shalva, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Shalva

Shalva New Member

I have a dozen chickens (well 11, I gave the rooster away to someone who needed him for their harem) so anyway... they are about 7 weeks old and I have them outside in the run during the day... but I want them to know that good things come from the tall woman walking around their pen so this morning I hand fed them some mealworms... and they went crazy... I had a herd of chickens flocked around....

so mealworms (check)

What are other things your chickens love to eat..... that would be good for the babies and they would understand... they didn't seem to impressed with the apple I gave them the other day... I know that they can eat most everything I have a list of things that they CAN'T eat but what would they really love...

2. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Boil up some pasta/spaghetti- my ones go mad for this :)

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Watermelon is a big favorite for mine. They devour it!

4. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

ohhh spaghetti is so fun to watch them eat HAHAHA earwigs... mine make a mad dash for the cat food and dog food if any is left.. jeesh! lol

5. goatgal

goatgal New Member

My girls love their morning scratch, and anything from the garden. Right now, they are getting giant cukes that I miss and any weeds I carry to them. I can't let them free-range here (dogs) so they go crazy when they see me coming with something green in my hand.

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Cantaloupe & Watermelon, squash, cukes, every 3 weeks I let them in the big compost pile, the rough stuff.. And I also practice vermiculture & have several worm beds and they love a handful of red wigglers every so often.

7. rob

rob New Member

mine go mad for mealworms. and also love a handfull of mixed corn in the evenings.
    im going to try the spaghetti though.

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Hey Rob, I'm gonna try the spaghetti noodles too.. Never heard of that before... Carbs

9. Apyl

Apyl New Member

My chickens LOVE spagetti with sauce lol and the Ducks love peas.

10. rob

rob New Member

mine go mad for mealworms. and also love a handfull of mixed corn in the evenings.
    im going to try the spaghetti though.

11. Shalva

Shalva New Member

thanks everyone these are great ideas... we do vermi-compost here so I do have the red wigglers I bet they would love them although my husband is very attached to his worms I don't know how happy he would be with me raiding his worm box to feed them to the chickens... he might get cranky about that...

the spaghetti sounds like a great idea and the veggies and weeds... this is excellent... they adore mealworms so I will try some of the other things.... thanks so much

12. musketjim

musketjim New Member

Mealworms or earthworms go over really good here, so that's where my leftover fishbait goes, also popcorn shrimp. Watermelon is fun to watch also and I supply them all my weeds from the garden.

13. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Try (every now and again- not too often) boiling up some frankfurter sausages, just throw a whole one into the run and they all chase after the lucky chicken that gets it first :p

14. Jojocag

Jojocag New Member

Chicken treats

OH mine love tomatoes!!! And rice!!!

15. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Any pasta or bread, carbs in general. They do love the ears of corn after we have eaten them and then toss the cob over the fence and they pick the rest clean.

The only time I've seen them turn their beaks away was the day we pressed 14 bushels of apples into cider. About half way through they really weren't too impressed with the mash leftovers. In fact it was a few months before they went "ape" for apples.

Any squash or melon in general, tomatoes and strawberries too!! Give them a regular treat each day and they will just come when they hear the door open!!

16. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

Rice. Also Corn is very cheap and I buy it by the bag and go outside once a day and throw a couple handfuls for them. After a few days of doing this they all run out and mob you to beg for corn whenever you go outside.

17. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Tomatoes and Golden Puffs cereal are their fav. Oatmeal with yogurt or jelly when its cold weather time.

18. bfranklin

bfranklin New Member

Mine go crazy for Tomatoes and honey dew melon... meal worms also