What goes into a Chicken First Aid Kit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by ijest247, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ijest247

ijest247 New Member

Coming from another threat about a specific eye problem one of my birds had, what goes into a good chook first aid kit? Worming stuff, vetericyn eye ointment.

What else do you have?

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I keep the regular vetericyn (for body wounds) and the vetericyn opthamalic gel on hand. We've used it on the dogs, cat, and birds (truth be told, on our bodies too - though vetericyn now makes a formula for humans).
    Also - a roll of vet wrap, a pair of tweezers for bumblefoot, a tube of neosporin (it CANNOT be the kind with lidocaine, as lidocaine is toxic to chickens), some guaze.
    I don't keep a package of Tylan (broad-spectrum antibiotic) but the feedstore is only five minutes from my home. I do keep electrolytes on hand to add to their water when temps. reach the 90° F mark. I also have or buy a bottle of wormer to worm once a year. If money is tight when worming time rolls around, I just ask one of my neighbors (cattle farmers, all) for a syringe full of ivomec pour-on cattle wormer and use that.
    That's about it for me. I've never had to use an antibiotic with my birds, I worm once a year and have one hen that gets bumblefoot every spring, regular as clockwork.

3. patlet

patlet New Member

<=== curious about the tweezers for bumble foot. How do they help?

4. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

As I said I have one hen that gets the bumblefoot every single spring, when weather is wet around here.
    I have a rather expensive pair of tweezers with one edge being very pointed. If her bumblefoot gets bad, I use the tweezers to grab ahold of the edge of the black scab covering it and working carefully, pull it off. I work slow so that the core or "kernel" comes out with the scab.
    Spray some vetericyn on it, vetericyn kills staph (Staphylococcus) and bumblefoot IS staph. The nice thing about the vetericyn is that it is a gel, that forms a barrier, a liquid bandage if you will, as it dries.

5. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Something new for me...never new about bumblefoot??:rolleyes: Guess I better do some reading! I'll be checking the girls...Jen:)

6. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Bumblefoot is usually only a problem when the ground stays damp or downright wet for days on end.
    My bumblefoot queen, Sunny, is nearly 5 years old. It's gotten to the point where I can see her from a distance and just by observing her gait can tell if she's got it again.
    In a chicken it will look like a black scab on the bottom of their foot and/or between their toes. It's basically the same thing humans get that we call a boil.