What gave you inspiration to want to raise chickens?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by earlyKbyrd, Aug 31, 2012.

1. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

Everyone has a story behind their chicken farm, what's yours?

2. rob

rob New Member

i started growing my own veg and raising chickens seemed the next step. plus i have always liked chickens and ducks.

3. annlouise

annlouise New Member

like rob i started growing veg. i think at the time there was a lot of media attention on welfare standards and i vowed never to eat a shop bought egg again. so we got our first 2 hens and have enjoyed their daily gifts ever since

4. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

That's awesome , we felt the same way about raising chickens and growing our own food many people have forgotten how to live off of the land and have relied too much on companies providing there own food for them , I'm still working on the veggies though , I just don't have that lucky "green thumb" effect :/

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm thinking about taking a master gardener course through the local university. (Rutgers). I would love to start a small green farm like they talk about in Ominvores Dilema. Chickens following the cows from pasture to pasture. Fresh eggs. Animals living the best lives they can naturally with humans orchestrating it all. My Vet background is in place, now I need the plants and I'll be all set! We all have dreams, don't we?

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

For me some inspiration came after reading the Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow. Keeping chickens makes so much sense as they give and give to a food system. The hens we have willingly control insects in the garden as well as fertilizing and cultivating the soil - and they give us eggs too. (at least the younger ones do).
    @ energyvet, do you need a masters class from uni to grow food? just get started and it will happen. Follow the chooks around and they will do the work and you just plant.

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

A friend of my hubby's wanted to give us a couple baby ducks. We waited apprehensive not knowing what to expect. Well a rotten pine martin managed to get into their duck couple and killed their ducks. =( We were disappointed. Then comes the Spring chickies at Tractor Supply. We looked and watched and wondered ... until it was too late. Couldn't get them from there anymore. Started making phone calls like a mad woman. Finally found a nearby feed mill had a good dozen breeds of chickens to choose from that you could order as day old up to 6 months old. Ran to the computer to research the choices we had. Decided on 3 RIR & 3 Barred Rock. After a week long wait for our day old chicks, I rushed to pick them up right after work. It was love at first sight! Even my rat terrier Izzabelle loved them. Couldn't keep either one of us away from them for long. After almost a year, we did lose Sweetpea, RIR. Heart broke, 2 weeks later, hubby took me to a fur & feather swap a 1/2 hour away. I grudgingly chose a month old Australorp, Lilah. She was my shadow. Still is. However, getting the older hens to accept her was a huge feat! Finally got her a buddy at the last swap for the year last Sept. Brought home a 4 1/2 month old Australorp/Leghorn mix. By November I managed to get Lilah & Alyviah in the big girl coop for all night AND day. This past July I brought home a final addition - my 1st Ameruacana. Love her to pieces too. We will have all 8 girls until they die of old age. They are so much company and just a delight to be around. The girls bring a peace to my life that has always been missing. I hope they are here with me for a very very very long time.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Me too. I want all my pets to last forever.

I grow food but I could be so much better at it. I'm learning but way too slowly. I'm inefficient, wasteful and clueless sometimes. A course would do me good. Besides of I want to farm as s business and need credentials for bank funding, I will need the master gardener credentials.

9. cindy

cindy New Member

I like being self sufficient so having my own fresh eggs go's hand in hand with growing my own vegi's and fruits then canning
    all the extra produce and making wine out of the fruit which ends up costing less then a dollar a bottle for some very fine homemade wine.
    I also make beer:) and bake my own breads. the key to growing a vegi garden is to spend a buck on the soil and a nickle on the plants lol
    my ladies do their share in making my gardens grow!

10. oakwood

oakwood New Member

We come from generations of poultry keepers and game keepers .
    Everyone keeps livestock of some sort in our families. :)

11. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

The general state of the economy gave us the inspiration to create a buffer zone between us and the normal food chain. After the large garden, chickens seemed to be the next logical step. That was 5 years ago and we haven't looked back. :)

12. Chickenboy

Chickenboy New Member

I grew up in a family where livestock was normal just like a dog and had my first chicken before I could crawl that was 13 and 1/2 years ago and I had my first **** at like 3 and my first guinea at 5 and my first goat at 10 I think maybe 8!!!!!

13. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I grew up in the country, raised primarily by my Depression Era Grandmother who taught me to live for today but prepare for tomorrow. We made due and did things for ourselves. We didn't buy, we created. I never thought of crafting etc as an art form, but I do now.

What seems like a lifetime later my husband and I had a tiny little apartment on the edge of town. Our neighbor had a garden, an obnoxious little dog and a funny rabbit hutch on stilts. However there were little bantam chickens in the hutch. Every morning they would come down the ramp and busy themselves in the grass and gardens. I would lay in bed and watch the chickens out the window. They were really cool. My Grandmother was an avid bird watcher and we had a stool next to a window facing the feeders so you could watch the birds. It's just something I love doing, and it still connects me to my Grandmother.

So, fast forward many more years and my husband and I and now two children are living in Lancaster County Pa in town. We both would have loved to have a country property, but country/farm property in Lancaster is worth its weight in Gold!! About 6 weeks after 9/11 I was standing in the market early in the morning and it just hit me, what if something even bigger than the Twin Towers happened in this country? What if things that travel half way around the world couldn't get here? How on Earth would I feed my family?? I now consider that moment my awakening moment. My Great Epiphany.

It took a year, but my husband and I came back to the land to be self sufficient. I have stayed on coarse, but he has drifted back to being an Electricity Loving Guy, but two of my goals was to learn every single skill I could fit into my head, and to keep chickens. We moved in late summer and that Spring we had our first 10 chickens. 9 mixed hens and a rooster. We built that first coop to my design and recycled materials and started learning. I never knew anyone with chickens, I never had chickens, but I learned a LOT about chickens.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Roslyn you are a gift to us all. I'm glad you're here. I'm glad to know you.

15. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Why Thank You, I'm really touched. Most people just think I'm nuts.

I do think that the World can be saved by chickens and ice cream.

Keeping chickens helps to connect us with Mother Earth, reminds us of Her Rules and Connections, and if you just sit down and eat ice cream then you will only know happiness and can never think evil of others.

At the end of the day, Life is very simple. ;)

16. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

I think you are FAR from nuts. And I definitely "identify" with you - most of the people I used to work with (and a lot who still talk to me) think I am nuts too. :D

OMG yes! I think you've hit it on the head - there's simply not enough chickens and ice cream being enjoyed.

And that's why my plan is to have chickens and goats. Then I will have plenty of work, entertainment and ICE CREAM!

Yes, yes it is.

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I wuv you guys! Can we buy a big house/ farm and all live there? Please.

18. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Actually, I was hoping, eventually, to build a number of small little "houses" on my place for guests, WWOOFers, weekenders, family, friends......

Places like: a treehouse, a hobbit house, a log cabin, a teepee, a yurt, etc.

You'd all be welcome!

19. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

We should all chip in and buy a couple hundred acres in the middle of nowhere. So we won't be bothered. Come up with our own races of chickens. All kinds of animals. Our own society. And we can grow our own plants and use the poop for fertilizer. Just become Amish or something like that. I vote for our own nation. Cogburn for President. EnergyVet for vice president.

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Be careful what you wish for. ;-)