What breed was your very first chicken?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by earlyKbyrd, Aug 29, 2012.

1. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

The awesome joy of your first chicken . Which breed was your first?

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

In high school my dad brought home some chickens. We let them free range until there was only one little Roo left. His name was John. He was my pet Roo. He was a Black RIR Roo. We eventually got him a RIR hen I called Naomi. They brought me joy at the difficult time of adolescence. I guess I'm looking to get that back with some back yard chickens now.

3. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

That's awesome!

4. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

My very first chickens were Rhode Island reds my mother had and they we're very neat, my mom would hollar for them and they would come a running, then one day a chicken hawk decide to pick them up .

5. nogrodsmithy

nogrodsmithy Junior Member

"First", it's hard to say. My family raised capons, but my uncle can't remember the breed. The first ones I raised on my own (or rather my wife and I) are buff orpingtons and silver laced wyandottes.

6. earlyKbyrd

earlyKbyrd New Member

Ya wyandottes are very pretty, we have 2 golden lace, I'd really like to have a silver

7. rob

rob New Member

mine was a light sussex

8. nakedneckmamma

nakedneckmamma Junior Member

My first breed of chickens were Australorps and then Dark Cornishes ...

9. mwrathome

mwrathome New Member

My first "very own' chicken was a white polish hen. I was about 6-7. My mom used to say I would sit on the swing and swing with the hen sitting in my lap while singing at the top of my lungs. I've no idea what I sang. Probably a song from school or church. This was all around 50 years ago!

10. DanielS

DanielS Junior Member

My very first breed was Black Australorps. I got 5 straight run from the feed store. 4 of them turned out to be roosters. I thinned the flock to one rooster and my hen... and then I added more breeds. Turns out I have chicken addiction.

11. tmcbee132

tmcbee132 New Member

Our 1st hens were barred rocks...loved them!!

12. craziegrannie

craziegrannie New Member

Our first was Araucanas and Buff Orpingtons for eggs and Jumbo Rock-Cornish Crosses for meat, but they do lay light brown eggs. We ate a few, but most lived until they died of natural causes. That is how I know they laid brown eggs.

13. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Mine was probly Rhode Island Reds.

14. chickenman18

chickenman18 New Member

My first ever chicken was a buff Sussex.
    My dads friend gave me a egg and I put it in a home made bater and it hatched it was a lovely hen but she sadly passed away last week I loved her

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Rhode Island Reds and Domineckers..

16. Turtle

Turtle New Member

I was just a young kid when I got my first chicken. It was an Easter chicken that my parents let me pick out from the feed store across the street from my grandparents' house. There were all different colors to choose from! Pink, green, blue, lavender...Oh, how I loved that lavender color! I asked the store owner if he could tell me...was it a boy or a girl? He assured me it was a girl. So I paid the man for the little lavender chicken and went back to my grandparents' house. After Easter my parents and I went back home, with my little 'girl' in tow. I had decided to name her Violet. We lived in a large city in a residential subdivision. And I don't really think that chickens were allowed. But my dad put together a makeshift coop in the back yard for my new pet. Well, Violet grew up to be a large white rooster! He was so spoiled that I could rock him to sleep in my arms. And he 'protected me' from any neighbors or friends who came to visit. But his downfall was the incessant crowing at night when he could see us moving about inside the house and wanted attention. Neighbors started complaining. So my dad had to find a chicken farm that would give him a new home. It broke my heart! I'll never forget my Violet!

17. birdman59

birdman59 New Member

My first is Called Birchen Cochin, still have him, he's almost 8 years old.I got a variety of chickens 8 years ago and he's the last of that original batch.Had 7 different kinds so far of chickens.

18. DaleScott

DaleScott New Member

My Mum had puff Pekin bantams, so they were the pets of my childhood
    Since I've had a variety of bantams, and some Isa Browns

19. DaleScott

DaleScott New Member

Narelle was a chick I was given at about 1 week of age. "She" grew into a large white rooster, who was most keen on 1 aspect of his roosterly duties (not crowing). He went to live on a farm. Our hens were scared of anything white for a long time after he left.

20. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

Most peoples first chickens are rhode island reds ;)